Page 33 of 553 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133533 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Re: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post

Aren't you the serious one! It's called banter and football wouldn't be the same without it. I can't speak for Danbert but I'd happily go for a pint with him and talk football; we wouldn't agree on much but there's nothing wrong with a bit of harmless ribbing (that's what I was doing rather than say how wonderful Utd are).
    I don't think you need to have a pint with him, just get a room and release that sexual tension thats building up.

Only Joking guys. some of it is quite funny...

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I don't think you need to have a pint with him, just get a room and release that sexual tension thats building up.

Only Joking guys. some of it is quite funny...
    I only get a room with someone if they buy me a pint first

Quote Originally Posted by crowhill View Post
    just a bit of harmless ribbing.
    Ha ha, bravo.

It is levelled at Utd quite a lot though and although they made some big purchases, the backbone of the team was from the youth setup

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    I only get a room with someone if they buy me a pint first
    The best thing about this thread is that I've taught myself how to put piccies onto the website

To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    The best thing about this thread is that I've taught myself how to put piccies onto the website

Now that is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by crowhill View Post

Man Utd = corporate brand, good manager, insufferably arrogant, bought success in the 1990s.
    Man City = perennial underachievers, series of crap managers, chip on their shoulders, about to try and buy success.

Not much more to say from my POV.

Crowhill - sorry to get serious on the none serious football thread but i feel as though I must respond to your post.

Manchester City FC was set up by the Manchester City Council in 1894 when Ardwick FC went bust. They wanted a football club to compete in the FA Cup and the newly formed national English league as the representative of Manchester and all Mancunians.

Manchester City FC as a result became heavily involved with the local community and have been for over 100 years. City won Manchester it's first trophies in the Second Division title and FA Cup and would have won many many more if it wasn't for the FA issuing a banning order on dozens of players, managers and boardroom staff, effectively killing the club.

In fact, many of United's earlier trophies, including their first League title, was won by the Manchester CITY players who joined United from City after the banning order as they wanted to stay close to the city itself, including Manchester City Legend Billy Meredith.

Manchester United don't play in Manchester, they play in an area outside the city known as the Borough of Trafford. They used Manchester as a way of gaining recognition due to City's earlier successes. People also forget that travel was nowhere near as proficient as it is today. North, East and South Manchester supported City, the West of Manchester supported United.

From 1920-1950 Manchester City were known by the press as simply 'Manchester FC'
    and were the bigger and more popular of the two clubs.

United went 39 years before winning another trophy, City in that time won the League and FA Cup, plus multiple Wartime trophies.

So whereas United fans say their 39 barren spell was caused by two world wars, City can also claim our chances of successes were hindered due to the wars suspending the FA Cup and League, competitions they were more than capable of winning due to the prolific Peter Docherty, who many claim was better than Colin Bell.

The Busby Babes and Old Trafford rebuild after WWII closed the gap considerably and during the 50's and 60's City and United were level pegging. United fell away during the 70's while City continued to compete for titles and trophies with varied levels of successes. It was during the 90's that City crumbled and United went from strength to strength.

It's pure ignorance and snobbery for football fans to suggest that Manchester City has always been this smaller cousin of Man Utd. Maine Road used to hold 80,000 people and regularly sold out 100 years ago. Manchester City's popularity in the area hasn't waivered despite the current 34 year barren spell, but City have only been a 'poor side' since the mid 1990's.

United supporters were VERY quiet until they won their first title for 26 years in 1993. City's fanbase is 'massive' mostly stemming from the popularity of the great sides of the 50's and 60's and the colourful characters we've had here.

City aren't just a football team, they have funded hundreds of projects and without City's financial input and support the Commonwealth Games of 2002 wouldn't have happened.

It's the club of the common working class Mancunian, always has been, always will. If you class yourself as a TRUE Mancunian the likelihood is you will support City.

how very soviet of you danbert to rewrite history. first you make mischief by claiming you are a "bertie" when in fact you are a red.
    Marxist Leninism is a weapon of the workers

how very soviet of you danbert to rewrite history. first you make mischief by claiming you are a "bertie" when in fact you are a red.

Admit it JTB - my post nearly brought a tear to your eyes.

Manchester united formed in the 1878 as newton heath lyr fc, by the humble artisans, working men attached to the works team of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway football team from the depot at newton heath. In 1892 joined the football league. In 1893 they moved to Bank st, Clayton, dropping the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway.
    1882, newton heath joined the football league top tier, division 1 whilst Ardwick were the founding members of the 2nd division.
    1894, Ardwick went bust due to financial irregularies (corruption) and man city formed.
    Its true city won the first trophy, fa cup 1904 but they didn’t win their first of their only 2 league titles in 1936.
    United won the title in 1908 and 1911. The fa cup in 1909, long before city’s next offering. United’s next trophy was the fa cup in 1948 with city taking their first title in 1937 with the fa cup in 1934. Titles during the war years cannot count and don’t.
    City’s next and only title came in 1968. United winning it five times before them.
    To say united fell away in the 70’s is economical with the truth as city won their last ever trophy in 1976 being the “then” small time cup. Since city’s last trophy united went on to 3 fa cup finals in the 70’s winning 1. They also won the cup in 1983, 1985, 1990, 1994, 1999 and 2004.
    The real team who tried to buy success are the “massives” who 3 times in the 80’s smashed the 1 million pound barrier and later spent over 2 million pounds on Keith curle.
    City has been a poor side since the late sixes and early seventies. In 1992 man city got what they wanted, peter swales, who the hated and abused. Swales always made money available to a succession of managers that didn’t cut the mustard.
    United are the biggest supported club in Manchester with city’s main support coming from the small townships around the Manchester area, mainly Stockport.
    I am glad to clear this up for you danbert but you being a red would already know this.

Marxist Leninism is a weapon of the workers

It's all down to interpretation JTB