Page 35 of 553 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135535 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Super Moderator

Re: Tonight's football thread

Watched dom's DVD of The Damned United earlier today. Really enjoyed it although was slightly surprised to see Brian living in what appeared to be Hebden Bridge whilst managing the Rams and also the fact that Mumtaz had a branch in Derby back in 1969
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Good question though, what's the answer? Oxford?

And Danbert a real cracker here:

"United supporters were VERY quiet until they won their first title for 26 years in 1993. City's fanbase is 'massive' mostly stemming from the popularity of the great sides of the 50's and 60's and the colourful characters we've had here. "

So City fans who started supporting City due to their success in the 50's and 60's...are not comparable to those United fans who started supporting in the mid 90's....

Of course they are not...:-)

I've never understood the issue about 'glory supporters', all teams have them. Compare Hulls gates of 2008 with a decade ago, compare Burnely's gates of 2009 with 5 years ago..

My only issue is people who change allegiances. Personally I was born a United fan, no choice, but it doesn't really bother me how they make that call.

Liverpool fans crack me up on that one as well. I remember a lad in Uni slagging off Man U's so called glory supporters saying how long he (from Kent) had been a Liverpool fan, since the 80's...the irony was lost on him..
    Last edited by IainR; 27-04-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Only town to have had 2 football league teams in the past - but none now: NEW BRIGHTON !! (New Brighton Tower FC & New Brighton FC)

Manchester City previous names West Gorton, Gorton, Ardwick
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

iainr
    the "bitters" wasn't that
    successful in the 50's at all. it wasn't till 68 that they won their second league title. they have not won one since.

united have ALWAYS been more successful, winning seven titles before the "bitters" second.

Huddersfield town and even scum Leeds have more titles, that shows how small a club they really are.

since the 50's man united have constantly been the biggest and best supported club. red
    danbert is making mischief by saying "the bitters" are the best supported club in Manchester, it's simply not true.

also "the bitters" are the genuine club that tried to BUY
    success in the 70's, we just spent our money a little better.
    Last edited by Carlos the Jackal; 27-04-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Marxist Leninism is a weapon of the workers

Facts are:

1950s
    United 3 titles
    City 0 titles

1960s
    United 2 titles
    City 1 title

Count the number of times we were runners up and we were the most successful team of the two by far! Not like Danbert to let the facts get in the way of an entertaining post though
    Last edited by TheHeathens; 27-04-2010 at 08:56 PM.

... and 9 professional goalkeepers on the books! You can naff off if you think you're getting Joe Hart back!

By 'eck lads anyone would think you were getting your dander up

To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Lads - I give you the words of the great mancunian Paul Morley

To support Manchester City is to believe that God might have trouble running things on this planet, but he's in control of the next world. He has to be. The Devil rules this world and always will, because his team are Manchester United, and they are world famous and monolithic.

Manchester City, who's name travels the world about as well as Gracie Fields or Pulp, are on the side of the angels; the poor, sapped, unfortunate angels who still believe in quaint antiquated notions of earthly good. To support Manchester City is to accept with heroic willingness the dead-flat that the universe is cold and hostile, and nothing good will become of it. To support City is to tackle head on the crushing pointlessness of existence and to attempt to make something of it. It is hard work. So why do it? Because somehow this seems ultimately more dignified and fulfilling than taking the easy way out and supporting the lulling and obnoxious United.

To support United is too easy. It's convenience supporting. It makes life too easy. There is no challenge. It is a cowardly form of escapism, a sell-out to the forces of evil. United fans have no soul and will spend their eternity neck deep in boiling vomit. City fans retain their soul and will spend their eternity forever reliving the moment their team beat Newcastle 4-3 away from home to win the League Championship in 1968, beating United into second place. Surely we will have such eternal bliss again, for why do we spend so much time suffering in this life watching our team climb to the summit only so that we can watch them dive, dive, dive to their pitiless bottom of the heap while United, of Manchester, but nothing really to do with it, float every more triumphantly skywards?

Heartless United are the incarnation of shamelessness and to support them is heroism in a can. Cavalier City, however awry their football, however dire their straits, glow with something mystical and transcendental. City have soul. United do not.

When they are great again, City will have shown that they are worth their extraordinary fans. To this day these fans will walk a million miles for one of Joe Mercer's smiles. They'll sing a million songs waiting for some new Mercer-like magic. Because they are City, and Christ do they know they're born.

To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    Lads - I give you the words of the great mancunian Paul Morley
    Very fitting that Paul Morley is from STOCKPORT!