Page 453 of 553 FirstFirst ... 353403443451452453454455463503 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,530 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

'Sideshow Bob' Luiz had another 'mare tonight. Good decision by Mourinho to sell him
    PSG must have money to burn to spend that much on a player like him?
    No country for old men.

How did Messi get the Golden Ball?!? It's not a best reputation prize. Neuer was the player of the tournament - he was immense throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    How did Messi get the Golden Ball?!? It's not a best reputation prize. Neuer was the player of the tournament - he was immense throughout.
    I would agree with Neuer, followed by Demichelis.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I thought Zabaleta and Demichellis were excellent in the final. Boateng was also excellent and Lahm finally found some form though Argentina allowed him too much space. Mascherano was giving the ball to everyone except his own team mates? I was glad it didn't go to penalties and the Germans were better in extra time and deserved to win it
    No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Messi had a decent tournament but it does tend to go to attacking players.

I'd have gone for Rodruiguez

Someone who had stepped up a level from what they were previously known or a great who stood out.. which I don't think Messi did.

I thought Schweinsteiger was excellent for Germany.

Of the top 4 teams I didn't think they had many stand out performers. The Germans were classically German, dominant, powerful, well organised, good football.

But I'm not convinced this is a great German team.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    But I'm not convinced this is a great German team.
    Yes, I know what you mean. It's like Germany were the best team in the tournament, but the other teams weren't special either. When France or Spain won it in recent years, they had a core of really world class players who just happened to have come together at the right time. I don't think Germany have this, but their physicality and their team ethic have made up for it. It's great to see a team do this, as it's a lesson to the rest of us.

I see Blatter is 'surprised' that Messi got the Golden Ball. I therefore fully agree that Messi should've got it!

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Yes, I know what you mean. It's like Germany were the best team in the tournament, but the other teams weren't special either. When France or Spain won it in recent years, they had a core of really world class players who just happened to have come together at the right time. I don't think Germany have this, but their physicality and their team ethic have made up for it. It's great to see a team do this, as it's a lesson to the rest of us.
    Yeah it was the best world cup I've seen, but that was because everyone could beat everyone...

I think the dutch missed an opportunity, they probably had the most talent stacked team, but RVP looked shattered the whole tournament.

My main disappointment was the African teams, I fancied one of them to cause a shock this year but they were pretty disappointing on the whole.

Germany deserved to win, just on the quality of their WAGS… absolutely superb array of talent they displayed at the end..

"How can England do a Germany?" they are asking. Last World Cup it was "How can England do a Spain?" and the answer is still the same of developing younger players just as Spain and Germany did and give them a chance to play at the highest level. Meanwhile if they want to loan them out to a lower league club to get them started I know just the team who will take them
    No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    "How can England do a Germany?" they are asking. Last World Cup it was "How can England do a Spain?" and the answer is still the same of developing younger players just as Spain and Germany did and give them a chance to play at the highest level. Meanwhile if they want to loan them out to a lower league club to get them started I know just the team who will take them
    Let's not get carried away now. Can we even do a Costa Rica?