Page 477 of 553 FirstFirst ... 377427467475476477478479487527 ... LastLast
Results 4,761 to 4,770 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I care a lot less than I used to, but certain teams still rile me (United, Liverpool, Leeds, Sunderland, wolves, villa, Sheffield Utd to name just a handful that immediately come to mind.

I think for the 'hardcore' football fan it just seeps in through the years. For me it's the years spent growing up watching football at Highfield Road in the 90's when there was still often trouble at football, most of my dislike is aimed at the fans rather than the actual teams.when you support someone like Coventry there's more to it than just the football or we'd all just support then'big4' wouldn't we.

Personally I can barely bring myself to go to our sterile, retail park, modern stadium, even though it's only a mile and a half away. But the thought of going to a historical ground on an away trip still keeps me interested.

But I cannot understand your casual glory hunting fan who lives round here, supports United, and claims to hate Liverpool and Man City, just because they think they should.

I think that in Rugby (and I may be wrong) it seems that everyone is behind the national side first and foremost, and their clubs are secondary.

To be quite honest, when it comes to football, I would of course like to see England do well, but they don't represent football for me and I couldn't really care when they inevitably bow out of their next tournament in yet another anti-climax.
    Wolves? Wolves???

A salutary tale of how the greatest team in Britain, if not Europe, can fall to the lowest depths warranting sympathy and nostalgia for the "old gold" years.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 26-05-2016 at 06:17 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I care a lot less than I used to, but certain teams still rile me (United, Liverpool, Leeds, Sunderland, wolves, villa, Sheffield Utd to name just a handful that immediately come to mind.

I think for the 'hardcore' football fan it just seeps in through the years. For me it's the years spent growing up watching football at Highfield Road in the 90's when there was still often trouble at football, most of my dislike is aimed at the fans rather than the actual teams.when you support someone like Coventry there's more to it than just the football or we'd all just support then'big4' wouldn't we.

Personally I can barely bring myself to go to our sterile, retail park, modern stadium, even though it's only a mile and a half away. But the thought of going to a historical ground on an away trip still keeps me interested.

But I cannot understand your casual glory hunting fan who lives round here, supports United, and claims to hate Liverpool and Man City, just because they think they should.

I think that in Rugby (and I may be wrong) it seems that everyone is behind the national side first and foremost, and their clubs are secondary.

To be quite honest, when it comes to football, I would of course like to see England do well, but they don't represent football for me and I couldn't really care when they inevitably bow out of their next tournament in yet another anti-climax.
    This mirrors how I feel about the game nowadays. I went to my first Manchester City game in 1969. I've had season tickets and been up and down the motorways for the away games (including Coventry). I take my lad to a few games a season and still look out for their results. Match of the day used to be a weekend highlight but I struggle to stay awake when it's on!

I stopped going the match regularly when I started fell running.

I realised I got little pleasure anymore doing one, and got lots out of the other. So I sacked the match off.

Saving a fortune, and don;t miss it. At all really.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Pots and Kettles
    I realise that much of it could refer to us too. Obviously LFC are and have been shite, with brief exceptions, for a generation or more.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    I realise that much of it could refer to us too. Obviously LFC are and have been shite, with brief exceptions, for a generation or more.
    I've got some pretty decent memories even though I was born in 1990 - Dortmund being the latest one, finally witnessed a "European Classic" instead of hearing about St Etienne etc from my family for the past 15 years...although when we won as much as we did in the 80's, it's always going to be hard to keep that going - 6 league titles, 2 FA Cups, 2 European Cups etc - gutted I just missed out on being alive for those, ha!

This season's Premier League was very interesting though, finally some teams bucked the trend and teams like us (Liverpool) and Chelsea fell short due to the likes of Leicester, West Ham & Southampton showing consistent form
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Get in Hull City,a return to the Premier League, good game, great goal. Up the tigers!!!!

Well done Hull City. I hope that Steve Bruce remains at the club and the perspective of the club being sold does not derail next season.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    Well done Hull City. I hope that Steve Bruce remains at the club and the perspective of the club being sold does not derail next season.
    I think Bruce will stay, well i hope he does, if we'd have lost yesterday though he'd be gone I'm sure. We've got a decent team but need to strengthen big style, so fingers crossed if the club is sold it all goes smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by CalFerguson View Post
    I've got some pretty decent memories even though I was born in 1990 - Dortmund being the latest one, finally witnessed a "European Classic" instead of hearing about St Etienne etc from my family for the past 15 years...although when we won as much as we did in the 80's, it's always going to be hard to keep that going - 6 league titles, 2 FA Cups, 2 European Cups etc - gutted I just missed out on being alive for those, ha!
    Cal mate, if you want to hear boring tails of the good old days, no need to rely on your family, I'm more than happy to step in although the 70's was more my era.

Ask your family if any of them were at Doncaster in January 1974, FA Cup 3rd round replay. Doncaster then bottom of the old 4th division drew 2-2 at Anfield and they hit the bar in the last minute. The replay was a midweek afternoon (the not so good old days of power cuts), not many scousers there that day. we rounded of the day chugging back over the Pennines in a blizzard in my old Austin A40, having won the replay 2-0 Liverpool went on to win the Cup that year, happy days

Banned