Page 495 of 553 FirstFirst ... 395445485493494495496497505545 ... LastLast
Results 4,941 to 4,950 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I think the number of teams per country is based on that country's coefficient. This is calculated on how those teams have done in recent years. France is currently awarded three teams. I do recall England only getting three teams, which at the time was a shame for my team Leeds who finished fourth, third and then fourth again between 1999 and 2001. They only qualified for the Champions League in 2000 (and went on the reach the semi-final). I think it was fairly soon after that England was given four teams but by then we had begun our spectacular free fall.
    You are correct. But how can it be allowed to reach a situation where some leagues get 4 places in the group stages, and other nations get a single place which they still have to go through qualifying for? Why are the likes of Arsenal/Spurs/Sevilla/Monchengladbach granted favourable entry over the likes of Slavia Prague or Red Star Belgrade? The answer appears simply to be that they come from a big-money league.

That is just increasing the gap between the leagues.

Again, the co-efficient is just UEFA's way of getting more teams from the money-spinning leagues (England, Spain, Germany, Italy) into the final stages.
    Last edited by Travs; 14-03-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    You are correct. But how can it be allowed to reach a situation where some leagues get 4 places in the group stages, and other nations get a single place which they still have to go through qualifying for? Why are the likes of Arsenal/Spurs/Sevilla/Monchengladbach granted favourable entry over the likes of Slavia Prague or Red Star Belgrade?
    Does recent history of that particular team have a bearing on it perhaps? Again going back to Leeds, after finishing third in 2000 we had to go through a qualifying round before gaining entry to the Champions League proper. Although Leeds had an illustrious European pedigree in the 60's and 70's they'd not actually competed in European competition since 1979.

Celtic tend to have to go through a qualifying round each year but I think that is because when they do get to the group stages they often perform poorly.

The big leagues of course do have the advantage of the most money so can afford the best players. Therefore they are more likely to succeed but it is encouraging to see Ajax doing so well this year. They have a famous past of course but the Dutch League is relatively poor in comparison to the big four. I'd like to see an English team win it (apart from Man U) but if not then I'm rooting for Ajax.

This thread has reminded me of the Anglo-Italian Cup of the early nineties. I recall going to Bramall Lane to watch Sheffield Utd v Udinese. It was more like mixed martial arts than a football match. The Blades had 3 players sent off and also their manager Dave Bassett for an inappropriate gesture to the ref (he put the tips of his thumb and forefinger together and moved his arm up and down)! I also recall watching Newcastle Utd playing someone on the telly which was also a battle. There was a lot of diving going on. Same old Ities always cheating!

I think Notts County won the competition that year. How times have changed.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 14-03-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    Former Manchester United and England midfielder Paul Scholes has left his role as Oldham boss after just 31 days.

Only won 1 out of 7.

Poor form and weak manager

Good win by the Blades.
    Leeds players arguing with each other at the end. I think they have lost the plot and it will be nice to see them spend another year in the Championship!

Banned
    They were by far the better team but no finishing quality. Leeds will go up. Play good passing footy.

Banned
    City took a while to over come the swans.

I thought Leeds played really well but that’s the way it goes in football. You don’t always get what you deserve. Sheffield United are in the driving seat now and aren’t dropping many points. They have a tremendous defence. I think they will be difficult to overhaul but it’s not over yet.

Raheem Stirling still diving and he wonders why so many people dislike him. Role model? My arse.

Banned
    Ha ha ha. I like it when someone states the truth.
    He's another TWAT