Page 501 of 553 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503511551 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,010 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Are they really an English club (indeed are any of the top 6...?)

4 Liverpool players who started tonight are English... foreign owners.
    I remember many years ago probably back in the 80s Liverpool had no English players in the first choice eleven. It was full of Scots, Irish, Welsh, did they have a yankee goalie at the time?
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 08-05-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Zimbabwean I think.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Zimbabwean I think.
    No not bruce grobbelaar it was before that.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I remember many years ago probably back in the 80s Liverpool had no English players in the first choice eleven. It was full of Scots, Irish, Welsh, did they have a yankee goalie at the time?
    1986 rings a bell with me when Dalglish was player manager. They also had the Dane, Jan Molby (although he seemed to turn into a scouser!)I remember it being commented on around the time of the cup final, just before the Mexico world cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    1986 rings a bell with me when Dalglish was player manager. They also had the Dane, Jan Molby (although he seemed to turn into a scouser!)I remember it being commented on around the time of the cup final, just before the Mexico world cup.
    A quick google to see that it was the 1986 Liverpool cup final starting eleven. Only the sub Steve McMahon was English

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FA_Cup_Final

GK 1 Zimbabwe Bruce Grobbelaar
    RB 4 Scotland Steve Nicol
    CB 2 Republic of Ireland Mark Lawrenson
    CB 6 Scotland Alan Hansen (c)
    LB 3 Republic of Ireland Jim Beglin
    RM 8 Australia Craig Johnston
    CM 10 Denmark Jan Mølby
    CM 11 Scotland Kevin MacDonald
    LM 5 Republic of Ireland Ronnie Whelan
    SS 7 Scotland Kenny Dalglish
    CF 9 Wales Ian Rush
    Substitute:
    MF 12 England Steve McMahon
    Player-manager:
    Scotland Kenny Dalglish

Oh I am wrong about the US goalie then.

Colin Murray had an interesting point on the end of last weekend's fighting talk podcast where he highlighted that a lot of the 'bigger' clubs - in European competitions especially - are pushing the proper fans to areas behind the goals to create an atmosphere which is in itself marketed to the corporates along the sides of the stadium. It's only anecdotal but he highlighted that, in a few seasons of travelling to stadiums working for TV the only places he hasn't felt this is the case (i.e. full support from 'proper' fans throughout the stadium) has been at Dortmund and, to a slightly lesser extent, the new Juve stadium (and this is from a Liverpool fan - he didn't mention Anfield). The main aim of his point was that he is somewhat uneasy that clubs are marketing their fans - who have to pay to show up - almost as much as the actual team.

He also said, on Saturday morning: "Liverpool will win 4-0, you heard it here first" which is a hell of a call!

I don't really bother with football any more and whilst I have an allegiance to Man City (started following due to family links when we were in League 2, whilst in schools full of utd fans) I'm more interested in following cycling, athletics and a bit of winter sports - in which I hold little allegiance (and am moderately skeptical of what I see)
    Last edited by ba-ba; 08-05-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I generally feel similarly to you ba-ba…

When I got into some 'proper sports' around 10 years ago, I soon lost a lot of the passion i'd held for football for most of my life...

However over 20 years of passion and rivalry previous to that, sometimes comes to the fore... strangely, local rivalries seem to matter less to me now... i'll never be able to bring myself to support Villa to win a throw-in, never mind a match, but I was genuinely pleased when Leicester won the league and gave the big teams a bloody nose, and similar with Wolves this year.

However the soap-opera that is the top end of the premier league, and all that surrounds it, has become increasingly tiresome. I'd genuinely be happy for CCFC to return to the championship with the great clubs in there and all the local derbies, but I can't really muster any passion for us to return to the premier league...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    However the soap-opera that is the top end of the premier league, and all that surrounds it, has become increasingly tiresome. I'd genuinely be happy for CCFC to return to the championship with the great clubs in there and all the local derbies, but I can't really muster any passion for us to return to the premier league...
    I think it is a pity that there is such a chasm between the Premier League and the Championship and between the top six in the Premier League and the rest.

I am gutted that Leeds have fallen away so badly in the last few weeks when automatic promotion seemed likely. I still hope that they can somehow stumble their way through the play-offs and go up but there is a little part of me that views the prospect with some trepidation. It's no fun getting hammered every week.

As you know it never used to be like that, before the advent of the Premier League most promoted teams had a fighting chance of doing ok. When Leeds were promoted from the second tier in 1990, they finished fourth in the old first division the following season and the year after that won the title!

The flip side of that some might argue is that the quality of football on display is undoubtedly much better than it was thirty years ago.

Not remotely a footie fan but am a great admirer of endeavour and leadership. Liverpool XI and Klopp were great examples of that last night. Fabulous result. Well done them. Now finish the job and grab that cup!