Page 522 of 553 FirstFirst ... 22422472512520521522523524532 ... LastLast
Results 5,211 to 5,220 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I didn't watch the Villa vs Sheffield Utd game but did see the replays of the goal that never was.

Does anybody know why VAR didn't intervene? I realise that this isn't something that normally falls under the remit of VAR since the Hawk-Eye goal line technology is usually so reliable. But this was so blatant and VAR usually spends ages agonising whether a toe nail was off-side so it is surprising.

I heard rumours elsewhere that some of the technology hadn't actually been switched on. Whether that was the goal line technology, or the VAR, i have no idea.

I also heard a rumour that it flashed up as a goal within the stadium, i.e in the changing rooms.

Something went massively wrong.

Banned
    Sheffield United were robbed when west ham cheated playing unregistered players.

Now they have been cheated again.

Why don't the league award them a 1-0 win as it should have been???

Because no one seems to be getting their knickers in a twist about it I can only assume that something else that we are not aware of is going on.
    If a team is relegated by being just 1 point behind Aston Villa or being on the same points but with an inferior goal difference I can see it getting messy in the courts.
    And similarly, Sheffield Utd could lose out on millions if they fail to qualify for the European Cup by 2 points.

And all this because no one had the balls to make a decision. They were probably still congratulating each other on taking a knee instead of concentrating on the game.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Because no one seems to be getting their knickers in a twist about it I can only assume that something else that we are not aware of is going on.
    If a team is relegated by being just 1 point behind Aston Villa or being on the same points but with an inferior goal difference I can see it getting messy in the courts.
    And similarly, Sheffield Utd could lose out on millions if they fail to qualify for the European Cup by 2 points.

And all this because no one had the balls to make a decision. They were probably still congratulating each other on taking a knee instead of concentrating on the game.
    This is the main underlying issue with relying almost solely on technology to officiate our games (it's probably an equally large issue as the fact it completely sucks all of the soul out of football).

When matches are officiated by humans, there is an understanding that there might be some error. This is generally accepted.

If we start relying on technology there's an expectation that it will be correct. Saying "there was a technical error" won't cut it to the owners and directors of clubs who are running it as a multi-billion pound business).

They should just scrap it...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    This is the main underlying issue with relying almost solely on technology to officiate our games (it's probably an equally large issue as the fact it completely sucks all of the soul out of football).

When matches are officiated by humans, there is an understanding that there might be some error. This is generally accepted.

If we start relying on technology there's an expectation that it will be correct. Saying "there was a technical error" won't cut it to the owners and directors of clubs who are running it as a multi-billion pound business).

They should just scrap it...
    What interested me was the fact that the officials are so reliant on technology being right they are seemingly willing to doubt the evidence of their own eyes. When the Sheffield United players were protesting that the ball was over the line, the referee merely pointed to his watch, which hadn't told him it was a goal so that was that. You'd have thought that at least one of the officials might thought that looks over the line to me, let's just ask VAR to make sure it wasn't. But they didn't.

Hawkeye has worked really well since it came in. I'm quite happy to keep it. It's one error and whatever the circumstances I think it's made a big difference - it also isn't a judgement decision.

VAR however can go for me.

They are still very much judgement decisions. When you see them toggling for an offside with the lines drawn across the pitch and come up with an offside decision based on 1/2" you know it's madness because with such small margins of time they can't possibly align that with when the ball was played.
    Then we have all the inconsistency over penalties that are sometimes given for a minor shirt tug and then not for such a tug it tears the shirt.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Was the "white lives matter" banner flown over the Man City v Burnley game offensive???

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Was the "white lives matter" banner flown over the Man City v Burnley game offensive???
    It was a poor idea Trevor. Doesn't reflect well on my club. But I also know the people of Burnley and the club needs to be careful.

It seems to me that over the last few weeks here in the UK when the BLM activities have crossed the line the authorities have largely cut them a lot of slack. You can even see the new legislation passed last week to stop more than 6 attending a protest were just not policed over the weekend.

So if it is possible to sense their frustration, perhaps also the frustration of many mainly white Pennine council estates can be cut some slack as well. It must be tough to have a sense of your white privilege when you are poorly educated, in a shit job if you're lucky and your kids have been groomed and people don't want to fight for you.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Free speech for all.
    Everyone should have a right to protest.
    We don't have to follow the media and highly paid celebrity's. We are entitled to an opinion.

Multi million pound players may have a slightly different view to the millions of fan's who support their club.

All this rubbish the media are peddling about every player agreeing to crouch down and put a knee on the ground. I don't believe that for a minute. They have been told to do it and imagine the grief anyone who declined to do it would get.

I wonder if participants other sports are going to be bullied into doing it on their return?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog