Page 525 of 553 FirstFirst ... 25425475515523524525526527535 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,250 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Banned
    I was just reading the demise of arsenal.

20 years running in the champions league and the fans wanted Wenger out.

Not even in Europe this time unless they win the FA Cup.

Worst league finish for 25 year and no positives on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post

I can see some signs of improvement under Artete though and he is stuck with working with what he has.

Ozil on a crazy contract who has underperformed ever since he signed it under Wenger just before Wenger went.
    He hasn't a top quality central defender at the club - he might go for Stones in the window.
    Centre midfield is a bit of a problem as well with Gendhuozi out of the French 2nd division.

So he needs 4-5 new players in.

Up front, lots of options if he can keep them.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post

Disagree. Arsenal in champions league glossed over many cracks plus showed lack of depth in Premier league. Being out of Europe won't be a bad thing (although I hope it's not going to happen), has done Chelsea good in the past.
    Worst league finish, that's always going to happen, last year was the worst for 24, so all fans must accept that lots of clubs are chasing and 2nd level of clubs (behind Man City and Liverpool) is highly competitive.
    Positives, loads. Good crop of young players, 3 of the top 10 youngsters in world are there (Saliba, Martinelli and Saka), new signings such as Tierney are class. Front line, looking good but need service.
    Probable loss of Aubameyang will be hard, but I'd sell, Sokratis, Bellerin, Mustafi, Torreira, Ozil, Lacazette (unless Auba goes), Kolasinac, Guendozi (unless he sorts attitude), Elneny and Mkhitaryan for a start. Should raise a bit of capital and allow Arteta to grow the squad. It took Man City a while to get up to speed as a successful club. Arsenal have no divine right to be there but it did hurt losing to Spurs!!!
    But how Arsenal can you get, beat the 2 best teams in Europe and then lose to Villa....

Not forgetting the other English youngsters (Saka already included in above post). Maitland Niles (flatters at times but marked Mahrez out of game v City), Willock, Reiss Nelson, Nketiah, Holding and Smith Rowe. None may be first choice next season but easily good enough to slot in and out as squad is rotated.
    I'd say the future is v bright indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by biaraV2 View Post
    Disagree. Arsenal in champions league glossed over many cracks plus showed lack of depth in Premier league. Being out of Europe won't be a bad thing (although I hope it's not going to happen), has done Chelsea good in the past.
    Worst league finish, that's always going to happen, last year was the worst for 24, so all fans must accept that lots of clubs are chasing and 2nd level of clubs (behind Man City and Liverpool) is highly competitive.
    Positives, loads. Good crop of young players, 3 of the top 10 youngsters in world are there (Saliba, Martinelli and Saka), new signings such as Tierney are class. Front line, looking good but need service.
    Probable loss of Aubameyang will be hard, but I'd sell, Sokratis, Bellerin, Mustafi, Torreira, Ozil, Lacazette (unless Auba goes), Kolasinac, Guendozi (unless he sorts attitude), Elneny and Mkhitaryan for a start. Should raise a bit of capital and allow Arteta to grow the squad. It took Man City a while to get up to speed as a successful club. Arsenal have no divine right to be there but it did hurt losing to Spurs!!!
    But how Arsenal can you get, beat the 2 best teams in Europe and then lose to Villa....
    I disagree on Torreira - think he's a decent holding midfielder. I'd forgotten Elneny and Mkhitaryan were there

I'd also work like hell yo keep Aubamayang and haven't an issue with Lacazette.

But your list does highlight the dearth of mediocrity at the club.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Nice to see a so called top 6 club not in the top 6.

Might be a long time before they get back.

Most expensive club for spectators too.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I disagree on Torreira - think he's a decent holding midfielder. I'd forgotten Elneny and Mkhitaryan were there

I'd also work like hell yo keep Aubamayang and haven't an issue with Lacazette.

But your list does highlight the dearth of mediocrity at the club.
    Torreira agree is class but works better in 3 man midfield which Arteta doesn't seem to play much.
    Front players of Reiss Nelson, Martinelli, Auba, Nketiah, Saka, Pepe along with attacking midfield such as Smith Rowe (when he returns from Huddersfield) is enough players. If Auba is there to spearhead attack, sell Lacazette, agree he's class but would prefer to bring through the youth players.
    In a couple of years time, the idea of Martinelli, Nketiah and Saka, rotating with Pepe and Reiss Nelson behind them Smith Rowe as attacking midfielder behind could be pretty good!!

As predicted at the time, Villa were kept up by that VAR "no goal" on the first game back against Sheff Utd.

Pretty much the crowning turd in a pile of... er... even more turds, for VAR.

Banned
    The prem league is not losing owt special with Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford going down.

Although your right about villa.

If you think back to last year they only got up due to leeds letting them walk a goal in. Should have played to the refs whistle.

I like Norwich... one of the better away days to go to, despite it being an absolute trek to get to! And in three visits i've never seen us lose at Carrow Road...