Page 527 of 553 FirstFirst ... 27427477517525526527528529537 ... LastLast
Results 5,261 to 5,270 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Banned
    WHAT???

I keep hearing world class!@!

Ha ha ha

Super Moderator
    I don’t really follow football. What is it about the lad Sterling that certain forumites seem to really dislike?
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 16-08-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

If you followed football you would know, and at the opposite end of the scale you would also know that Marcus Rashford is an inspiration.

And no, I'm not a Man Utd supporter.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Was enjoyable to hear Steve McManaman's sour grapes at Manchester City going out last night. Particularly the amount of time he spent moaning about that Lyon player diving.

When Jack Grealish does it though, its "intelligent play" and "he's the most fouled player in the Premier League, don't you know".

Diving and cheating has always been around, but it used to be that some players could be relied upon to be honest. Nowadays it seems everyone is at it and it's accepted "part of the modern game".

I remember seeing Jordan Sancho on his first ever game for England... within two minutes of coming off the bench he threw himself on the ground... this is the "future of England" and a "fantastic role model" apparently...

It's cheating, pure and simple. Which is why i can't identify with the game any more.

I've gone off it too. Cancelled my Sky Sports package and don't miss it.

However I did watch the last stage of the Dauphine on Eurosport today and in was fantastic. Won't do a Stagger and say what happened just in case anyone is recording it!

Must get back on my bike.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

However I did watch the last stage of the Dauphine on Eurosport today and in was fantastic. Won't do a Stagger and say what happened just in case anyone is recording it!

What did happen??? I didn't record it??

I'm glad no one has given away the Dauphine result as I've recorded to watch first thing.

On the football, I was amazed at the side City started with. They were strong favourites but had a very cautious lineup with 2 holding midfielders.
    I don't get Rodri.
    I don't think they play as well with Gundogan. I don't think he's a bad player, but he just doesn't seem to fit in my opinion.
    and Cancelo? They do seem to struggle at left back, but they had 2 better ones on the bench.

It seemed like a 7-0-3 formation, and I'd even question whether one of those 3 would qualify as a Striker.

They struggle without Aguerro as well. They have only him as a genuine class striker. Not enough.

However, they had enough chances, more shots, 2/3 of the possession, and only have themselves to blame.

Guardiolla clearly a genius, but I'd have had the following:

Back 4: Walker, Stones, Laporte, Zinchenko
    Midfield: Fernandinho, D Silva, B Silva, De Bruyne
    Up Front: Mahrez, Sterling

What I have against Sterling personally is his diving and his surly attitude which has been evident from his Liverpool days. I think that's perhaps wide spread.

Now to tonight. Up to half-time, Utd can muller this lot if they just cut out the errors. Pogba is very slow in possession. I'd get rid personally. I think he's a square peg in a round hole.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

I used to have Sky just for Eurosport just for the cycling.

When Eurosport allowed direct subscriptions I cancelled Sky - Eurosport is an astonishing bargain.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Thing with the champions league is you can dress it up, hype it up, as much as you like.... But its still a cup competition. Hence Lyon could pull off a rresult.

Is the side that wins it necessarily the best side in Europe every year... Not necessarily.

Just off the top of my head I can think of a number of teams in various years who have won it without being the highest quality side...

Red Star Belgrade
    Steaua Bucharest
    Porto
    Liverpool (vs Milan)
    AC Milan (vs Liverpool)
    Chelsea
    Manchester United (vs Chelsea & Bayern Munich)

Last year two English clubs in the final and the media were telling us that we are dominating Europe again...

This year there's two French and two German sides in the semi-final... Does this now mean France has the strongest league in Europe?

It's not the be-all-and-end-all.

Im not necessarily in agreement that Guardiola is a genius... Propelled into Barcelona job... Then unlimited funds at Bayern Munich and Man City. He threw hundreds of millions a year at the Man City playing squad until they won the league... I'm not saying he's crap, but I think again its a case of over-hyping by the media (a bit of a recurring theme when it comes to football... But they've got to sell their newspapers and tv subscriptions!)
    Last edited by Travs; 16-08-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I used to have Sky just for Eurosport just for the cycling.

When Eurosport allowed direct subscriptions I cancelled Sky - Eurosport is an astonishing bargain.
    That's interesting Graham. TV wise I've only really kept Sky for Eurosport but I do have broadband and mobile with them as part of a package and to be honest the thought of trying to sort out individual deals puts me off. I do like SkyQ also for recording things.

I didn't know that a direct Eurosport subscription was available. Probably a silly question but does that enable you to watch it on a TV or just a computer screen.