Page 546 of 553 FirstFirst ... 46446496536544545546547548 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,460 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    It's always a big ask taking young ones to see lower league sides. At least my youngest daughter went to a school where there was a number of Baggies fans already and it was also the era of being a bit of a yo-yo side so every other season seemed to involve a celebration of some sorts! She is now 23 and still very much an Albion fan and regularly comes home from Cardiff for games. Her partner is from the valleys but family all support Man Utd (as you would??) so she has seen a lot of games at old Trafford too and obviously that is (no pun intended) another league.
    Last edited by PeteS; 21-01-2023 at 11:46 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well that was an interesting day.

Nephew couldn't keep still all morning. Took him up early with the intention of going in the club shop and getting him something... but he just wanted to get in the stadium.

18mins in, 3-0 down and we had proper, sobbing tears. Fortunately, as we were deciding whether it was necessary to take the poor guy home, we then scored twice in 6mins which got him back into it.

Unfortunately the 2nd half was absolutely dire and we didn't even put up a fight.

Although i don't think too much damage was done as he asked if we can go again next week! (sadly not, as i'm back to racing next weekend)
    Looks like you are getting our lad Luke McNally until the end of the season. Seen him a couple of times. I reckon he'll do a decent job for you.

He was 4th in line for us and needs games.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I hoped to go to Accrington Stanley next week (Accrington Stanley? who Dey!,,,Excatly!!)
    No chance of a ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    No chance of a ticket...
    Is that for the Leeds FA Cup match?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Is that for the Leeds FA Cup match?
    yes it was...but at least it was on BBC

Where's TheHeathens to comment on the significance of the record breaking 7-0 victory for Liverpool last night? I was listening to the commentary towards the end of the first half. It sounded like a very even half.

When Liverpool click, they're a difference class.

About time Gary Lineker was brought down a peg or two.

Hoisted by his own petard.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    About time Gary Lineker was brought down a peg or two.

Hoisted by his own petard.
    I've just had a look at The Guardian opinion pages and the commentariat have all gone apopleptic, with some even vowing to not pay their BBC Licence fees, comparing the Beeb, disparaginly, with GB News (which is great by the way)!

I hear Lineker's co-presenters have now also vowed not to appear on the next show.

To be fair, I do defend anyone's right to express their opinions, although if you're such a high profile presenter for the so-called impartial BBC, then you do have responsibilties to be seen as impartial if you want to continue to work for the company. I don't think he should be 'cancelled'/sacked, but we'd expect an apology for not being impartial, but most of all for being offensive to the memories of all those people murdered by the Nazis.

That is, the worse part of Lineker's statement wasn't his political view, but how he used an analogy with one of the world's darkest parts of history - Holocaust related - to make political gain. Distasteful and crass don't even cover it.
    Last edited by Mossdog; 10-03-2023 at 08:13 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I've just had a look at The Guardian opinion pages and the commentariat have all gone apopleptic, with some even vowing to not pay their BBC Licence fees, comparing the Beeb, disparaginly, with GB News (which is great by the way)!

I hear Lineker's co-presenters have now also vowed not to appear on the next show.

To be fair, I do defend anyone's right to express their opinions, although if you're such a high profile presenter for the so-called impartial BBC, then you do have responsibilties to be seen as impartial if you want to continue to work for the company. I don't think he should be 'cancelled'/sacked, but we'd expect an apology for not being impartial, but most of all for being offensive to the memories of all those people murdered by the Nazis.

That is, the worse part of Lineker's statement wasn't his political view, but how he used an analogy with one of the world's darkest parts of history - Holocaust related - to make political gain. Distasteful and crass don't even cover it.
    I am always amused by the use of vowing or vowed... as in said. The words are usually spoken by people caught with their hand in the till protesting their innocence.

I think vows/ vowing should be left with, eg the marriage ceremony, rather than used in the context of eg "I vow to buy some bread from Tesco tomorrow."

Unless it is snowing.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-03-2023 at 09:39 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Mmmh. Vowing, vowed... as in said?

I think vows/ vowing should be left with, eg the marriage ceremony, rather than, say, "I vow to buy some bread from Tesco tomorrow"

(And of course only the ignorant and the inarticulate evoke the holocaust to support their views but then nobody has ever confused Lineker with, well, Primo Levi?).
    No, in this case it is 'vowed' rather than 'said'. That is, because the emotional valence expressed in the heartfelt assertions of several contributors within the comments sections was quite marked (presumedly due to their apparent pique or indeed anger at the issue). Consequently, I think 'vowed' or 'vowing' would seem to be the appropriate verb to use here. They implied they were intending to make (vowing) an earnest promise to perform a specified act or behave in a certain manner, motivated by heightened emotion.

Furthermore, given my preference to buy my bread from Booths, regardless of the price, in the face my of my partner's thrift, should I ever condescend to visit Tescos to placate her, I would indeed have to 'vow' to buy bread from Tescos tomorrow (yuck, perish the thought!)
    Am Yisrael Chai