Page 550 of 553 FirstFirst ... 50450500540548549550551552 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,500 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Having watched a season in the EFL I only know the name of one referee.

Keith Stroud.

And today Travs will be doing his fruit over Stroud. I've rarely seen as blatant a penalty not given, as the one Coventry should have had with 10 minutes left to play and possibly capped a tremendous comeback had they converted it.

He isn't really fit to ref at any level.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I'm not going to complain too vociferously, as its still preferable to death by VAR....

But yes, anywhere else on the pitch that gets given without hesitation.

Just a bit regretful that a draw did nothing for us... really i think it was win or bust today.... that said, being 3-0 up at home to Swansea with 20mins to go and drawing 3-3 was the one that i'll look back on this season where we really messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Having watched a season in the EFL I only know the name of one referee.

Keith Stroud.

And today Travs will be doing his fruit over Stroud. I've rarely seen as blatant a penalty not given, as the one Coventry should have had with 10 minutes left to play and possibly capped a tremendous comeback had they converted it.

He isn't really fit to ref at any level.
    Keith Stroud?

Is he the vertically challenged one who marches about the pitch in a Captain Mainwaringesque way?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Keith Stroud?

Is he the vertically challenged one who marches about the pitch in a Captain Mainwaringesque way?
    I can see where you're coming from, but I was thinking more a combination of Jeremy Hardy and Agent Smith.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I haven't been controversial for a while so here goes.

Commentators and pundits and in particular the rise of women involved in the coverage of Mens football.

I've just watched 2 nights of Prem football.

Leicester - Everton on Monday. I believe it was Pien Meulensteen as lead commentator with Alan Smith as side-kick.
    Where I struggle is when the excitement builds, so particularly around goals. Her pitch rose and it lacks the weight of a male voice and also her higher pitch seems to blend in with the crowd noise.
    At times I could hear she was speaking, but couldn't make out what she was saying, in particular around the time of the Leicester goals.

Arsenal - Chelsea - Rob Hawthorne was commentator with Carragher and Karen Carney as side-kicks. Now Carragher also has an at times high pitched whiney scouse voice and it doesn't half grate.
    In Karen's case, again it just doesn't stand out - althhough it doesn't grate like Carragher.

There are some super women sports presenters. Clare Balding is probably my favourite and in football Kelly Cates (ne Dalglish) is excellent.

But it doesn't work for me in the commentary box for football and at times it seems like particularly Sky are deliberately shoe-horning in women to help their DE&I score.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Working out all the permutations of how tomorrow's football may pan out. It will probably come down to goal difference on who makes the play-offs so could do with Coventry losing significantly to help out the baggies ( assuming they beat Swansea of course).
    Sorry, Travs!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Millwall will be in the Premier League next season.

You heard it here first!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Coventry need a point.

A loss puts it in the hands of how Millwall/Sunderland/WBA do.

Blackburn could still do it with a win, interestingly they play Millwall.

I think its two from Cov Sunderland Millwall.... worryingly if we lose i don't see enough teams slipping up and i think we'll miss out.

I do think whoever makes the final couple of playoff places have every chance of then making the premier league

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Oh well, nevermind. I listened to the match on the radio as we have no sky. and although other results didn't go out way anyway, to lose with the last kick of the game sort of summed up our season. At least the vast quantities of curry I made to take my mind somewhat off the football was successful!
    (Bombay potatoes, makhani dhal and roast tomato and aubergine curry in case you are interested!)

Hope Coventry do well but Middlesbrough and Luton will be tough to beat.
    Last edited by PeteS; 08-05-2023 at 06:42 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

It was very tense.... i had Sunderland on TV and City on the radio.

5 mins before half time we were in the playoffs with a 5 point cushion. 5 mins after half time we were a goal away from being out of it!

I don't see us beating Middlesborough over two legs.