Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moors The Merrier-17th July

Moors The Merrier-17th July

A number of forumites asked on The Hebden about our next event in July which we have run for the past two years. Unfortunately we have a problem with the route where it goes over open access land on Widdop Moor. The agent of the owner of the land insists that it is a concession that we go over this land whereas the law states we have a right to do so. Natural England who monitor open access land agree with our view and we have correspondence to support this. The agent will not agree to us going over the land in July because it will disperse the birds which they want to shoot in August. These are the bald facts. We do not want a confrontation and so are somewhat hesitant about going ahead as they could try to block the route and turn entrants back.
    We have a completely new route partly planned and need shortly to make a decision. As soon as we do I shall post it on the forum.
    Alan G

Re: Moors The Merrier-17th Jul

Thanks for this Alan.
    Much as I want to get hot headed and rant at the "land owners" and their fellow minion w*****s, a different route is a much better option me thinks.
    Although the devil in me would be up for a two finger saluted unoffical run at some time perhaps.
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

The Moors The Merrier is now to be held on Saturday July 10th starting from the Church Hall. The short route of 21 miles will be the same but the long route mileage will be increased to nearer 30 miles and will go out to Hurstwood to avoid the access problems on Widdop Moor. Further details will be announced in the next few weeks once I have set up the website. No rest for the wicked.
    Alan G

That'll make it one serious event, not for the faint hearted. 30 miles in Calderdale. It's almost snapping at the heels of the Calderdale Hike, which isn't a bad thing.

And it's the week before the Lakeland 100. A nice cool-down?

I stated in my previous post that our event would be on the 10th July but due to organisational difficulties like getting the start venue we have had to change this to Saturday 7th August. The webpage including the route desciption amended to avoid the access problem will take a little longer. Otherwise the route remains unchanged.
    Alan G

Re: Moors The Merrier 7th Aug

Website now published at www.alangreenwood.biz/index.html
    The long route extension now goes over Hoofstones and picks up some of the Wycoller. This re-route now avoids the problems encountered with open access. All the usual information can be found on this years pages and photos can be be found on earlier years.
    Alan G

Hi Alan
    Saturday August 7th eh, well count me in to help, anything, anywhere.
    I have Wensleydale Tri the next day, so not too taxing pse (not sweeping the course for example!)
    Thanks
    Clive
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Anybody else giving this a go this year? Not done it before so any tips would be useful Cheers

The finishing times are on the event website at www.alangreenwood.biz/index.html
    Alan G