Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Guy

Tough Guy

Just wondering if anyone is doing this on Sunday?
    Looking forward to it, sort of, just hope its not as bloody cold as last year, Jesus it was freezing!

Re: Tough Guy

A colleague of mine is doing it... He's now wondering why he signed up for it

I think the prospect of 10 miles run through trainers-eating mud, running through fire, electric shock alley, swimming in sub-zero temperatures, etc, is finally dawning on him !!
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    Jesus it was freezing!

Breaking the ice or moving chunks of ice out of the way as you flounder across the ponds are part of the attraction Fozzy

I only did it once many years ago but it has obviously been added to since then, "Electric shock alley"
    No country for old men.

The bit where you go through the water tunnel was may favourite bit. I'm sure someone sneaks up behind and pumps your skull full of ice cream.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    The bit where you go through the water tunnel was may favourite bit. I'm sure someone sneaks up behind and pumps your skull full of ice cream.
    That my least favourite bit, horrendous.
    I enjoy everything else though, the cross country run, leaping over walls, climbing up cargo nets, clambering over obstacles, scrambling over haystacks, crawling through tunnels, jumping through the fire bails of hay, its all good fun and bit of a laugh.
    Except the dreaded water tunnel thingy, last year I was in such a state of dissorientated shock I almost passed out.
    The worst part is that I've paid a small fortune to do it all again

I'm there!! First time and totally confused by the eccentric communications!! Not sure what a photo card is and whether we have to bring one?!!
    Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way

First timer? Nice one, hope you enjoy it, it'll be different at least.

The e-mails and mail Mr Mouse sends out is a bit confusing, I'm sure he has a language which only he can understand, talks bollocks a lot of the time.

Photo card? I can only assume this is the "passport to heaven" photo card you pick up once you've signed your "Death Warrant" and handed it in at registration, it goes around your neck and its so the marshals know which start pen you should be in, I think it must be that.
    You'll get an envelope with your run number, passport to heaven, timing chip and some other bits 'n bobs.

I'm sure you'll have a good time, but be prepared for the extreme cold on the water obstacles, its one of the few events where you actually question your sanity why you've paid to do this event, also don't underestimate the run, its a tough few miles of cross country with a knackering hill slalom and plenty of in and out of ditches.
    When talking about this event everyone mentions the water obstacles, the electric shocks and the jumping through the fire, but there over pretty quick, its definatley the run which catches a lot of people out, but if you enjoy cross country and a bit of fellrunning you'll love it, its like a lot of things, its as hard as you make it.
    My only advice would be to do the run as fast as you possibly can so that you get to the Killing Fields(the assault course part) before the masses get there, 'cos there nothing worse than stood for 5 minutes freezing youre nuts off waiting in line to clamber over some daft obstacle. Having said that though, some people like to take their time and I suppose have more of a laugh, but me personally I like to get a move on and try to do it as fast as I can, I'm still knowhere the bloody front though.

My lord that looks awful .
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Don't get psyched out by the rantings of the Mouse, he really is quite insane and the actual race is really good fun. I've done it quite a few times (even managing a top 20!) and, to be honest, if you're coming from a fell running background you'll breeze it.

Top Tips

- Go as hard as you can on the run to avoid the queues on the obstacles.
    - Vulcan neoprene shorts do wonders for keeping your bits warm and warding off hamstring/quad cramps when you hit the cold water.
    - Neoprene diving gloves are a good idea.
    - Avoid ice cream headache and shock in water tunnel by stuffing a swimming hat in a pocket and sticking it on just as you get to the dunking.
    - Get a tubi-grip, put it on one ankle to mid calf and then gaffer tape over the top. Use this leg to hook over top of ropes.
    - Mudclaws! Mudclaws! Mudclaws!

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    Photo card? I can only assume this is the "passport to heaven" photo card you pick up once you've signed your "Death Warrant" and handed it in at registration, it goes around your neck and its so the marshals know which start pen you should be in, I think it must be that.
    You'll get an envelope with your run number, passport to heaven, timing chip and some other bits 'n bobs.
    Excellent, that's given me (and the three other confused first timers I know!) a lot of comfort. We had invisaged having to bring along a passport photo!!
    Look out for a sweaty bald man number 5022 passed out somewhere in the killing fields!
    Last edited by david; 28-01-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way