Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This year's triathlon

This year's triathlon

Going to give a sprint event a go this year so registered with the tritalk forum, and it seems they've been talking about us . Sentiments ranged from reverance for the effort involved, to ridicule about the lack of lycra in fellracing and a cirtain suggestion for something called the 'ministry of silly runs'. Ahem...may i point out that tri suits are bone fide gay interest items [ssh, quiet about the Borrowdale vest thing ]. I think they're just jealous an ironman is easier than a BGR .

Don't know what event i'm doing yet but heard the Wensleydale tri incorporates a trail run rather than boremac...anyone done this or any tri? My biggest problem is that when i'm cold water swimming one of my nads tries to force itself back up from whence it came which is very uncomfortable but probably not unusual.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Re: This year's triathlon

It's not called tripetalk for nothing...

Why don't you try the Borrowdale Duathlon in April Mr B ?
    Good preperation for a tri whilst you wait for the water to warm up
    I have sacked the triathlon idea off for now,couldn't get my head around the swimming. I'm not a bad swimmer (sub7 for 400m-pool) but it bores me to tears and haven't enough spare time to do things i don't enjoy.
    So it's on/off road du's for me this year including the Borrowdale duathlon to be found here .....http://www.bechallenged.co.uk/events.asp

If you are a decent fell runner mr brightside as i believe you are you will find a sprint a piece of cake. Why not go in for the norseman. When i was at my very worst at 7 stone overweight i could still do a sprint relatively o.k.. This would be better suited to a Fellrunner. http://www.nxtri.com/race_info/course_and_map
    Last edited by Nathaniel Lee; 27-01-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: sprint

There is a difficult tri at hathersage where the run is definitely off road. Not done it, but it is in 220 this month. Good sprint events at Skipton (mid april I think) this has a part trail 5km run. Southwell tri is really good and that is in May. The bike is flat and quite fast, the run is 2 laps up a hilariously funny 'slope', about the same as most junior races!! Last year didn't get overtaken once on the run!!!!!!!!!
    Not done rossendale or wensleydale up here, but I know rossendale has good reputation.
    Good duathlon at Clumber Park in March, think that is offroad run. I think Rodders Ramble is doing this one.
    I'm looking for an olympic distance race, I'm planning Bala middle distance and have place in Ironman UK, so that's my big aim.

The best place to look for events is back of 220 magazine (unsure if the events are on website) or look at http://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/index.php, this is the British triathlon association website and that has just about all events. Worth a look.
    Any queries PM me

I dabbled in tri a bit in the past, but hate swimmning so only ever did sprint ones, as I could do up to 750 metres on no training at all...

I now fancy the Borrowdale duathlon... right up my street and well tough... I only have to hope I will be fit enugh come 18 April (still recovering from very bad illness) if not, it will have to wait till next year...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Cheers to RR and Tri for the suggestions, unfortunately Tri Norway is out of the question! That duathlon looks like a cracker but i've got an MRI scan on my knee first week in feb so i can expect to be out for a while beginning mid-late feb due to whatever comes next. I'm considering a sprint event due to my not wanting to be too optimistic about my fitness for this year, yes i'll piss the distances but at the moment i have to plan for a worse case scenario and rule out any more running than is in a sprint tri.

If i can do one early summer the planning and prep stage will keep my mind occupied which is what i need to do right now, not running much is depressing me and i could do with shifting some focus to another arena until i can get back on the fells proper.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Going to give a sprint event a go this year so registered with the tritalk forum, and it seems they've been talking about us . Sentiments ranged from reverance for the effort involved, to ridicule about the lack of lycra in fellracing and a cirtain suggestion for something called the 'ministry of silly runs'. Ahem...may i point out that tri suits are bone fide gay interest items [ssh, quiet about the Borrowdale vest thing ]. I think they're just jealous an ironman is easier than a BGR .

Don't know what event i'm doing yet but heard the Wensleydale tri incorporates a trail run rather than boremac...anyone done this or any tri? My biggest problem is that when i'm cold water swimming one of my nads tries to force itself back up from whence it came which is very uncomfortable but probably not unusual.
    The Hellvelyn tri is a good one as is the Wensleydale one you mentioned. Have you done a tri before at all?? The first time friendly ones in Cheshire are a good laugh...pool swim (although an out door brine one) flat fast bike course and a lapped run around a field!

If you can't do so much running have you not thought about a few bike sportives instead of a tri? Some very challenging routes out there to be had and (see here...http://www.cyclosport.org/events2010.aspx) certainly gives you a focus whilst getting back to running fitness or will the knee not allow long distance cycling either?

Super Moderator

Brett organises some very informal off-road duathalons Mr B. Good chance to practice transition etc. Great fun! Suggest pm him or he may well pm you
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    There is a difficult tri at hathersage where the run is definitely off road. Not done it, but it is in 220 this month.
    I did the Hathersage hilly last year and it was my first triathlon. The run is about 6k (I think?) and is 90% off-road and quite hilly (as the name implies). It's also well organised if a little expensive for a sprint tri. I would recommend it for first-time tri-ers who do more fell running than road running.

I'm considering Tatton Park this year. It's an olympic distance, and I quite fancy the idea of seeing if I can swim that far.