View Poll Results: Do you agree with wind farms?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 100.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wind farms

Re: Wind farms

There was an interesting interview with the chief executive of BP on R4 this morning. He talked a bit about climate change (but that's for another thread). He also said offshore windfarms are currently about 3 times the cost of onshore windfarms.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    How do they destroy wilderness at sea?
    I'm talking about the aesthetic impact on the view. Surely we go to the seaside for the bracing air, the sussuration of the waves and the uninterrupted views to the horizon which cleanses our spirits from the depredations of daily living and coping with the stresses man puts on his environment? This is totally b*ggared up by the sight of windmills marching across the horizon. Don't believe me? Go to Llandudno, stand on the foreshore and tell me that nothing has been lost from the aesthetic appeal of the view.

I have no argument with the fishing situation but we can't see the seabed can we?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Don't believe me? Go to Llandudno, stand on the foreshore and tell me that nothing has been lost from the aesthetic appeal of the view.

I have no argument with the fishing situation but we can't see the seabed can we?
    I looked at that view last night. To me the oil rig to the left damages the view, I have no objection to them at all. I lived next to one for a year, and liked hearing the swooshing.

Master

I'm talking about the aesthetic impact on the view. Surely we go to the seaside for the bracing air, the sussuration of the waves and the uninterrupted views to the horizon which cleanses our spirits from the depredations of daily living and coping with the stresses man puts on his environment? This is totally b*ggared up by the sight of windmills marching across the horizon. Don't believe me? Go to Llandudno, stand on the foreshore and tell me that nothing has been lost from the aesthetic appeal of the view.

So what you are saying, is a bit of rock and sea is better to look at, than some windmills. Anyway if it wasn't for the global warming botherers, the windmills probably wouldn't be there to ruin the sea and rock view, for you.

I say again let's get the hydrocarbons out of the ground and burn them. Whilst we're at it we can chuck the botherers in as well, so we can get some peace from their propaganda. I'm sure the fishermen would be quite happy with my little scheme.
    Last edited by CL; 04-02-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added a comma just for Noel. Got permission first though from the government.

That's exactly what I'm saying.
    I think Iain has his research funded by a windmill manufacturer!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

That's exactly what I'm saying.
    I think Iain has his research funded by a windmill manufacturer!
    Sadly no.

But if you want to fund my research to find that windfarms are the anti-christ, I'm sure that can be done, you know how us scientist are easily bought...

I was brought up in the area of Cannock Chase. A beautiful landscape with an eyesore of a coal burning powerstation. I reckon people who live there would happily see them get swapped. We have got to get energy from somewhere you cant argue against every solution thats put forward as we will never progress.

If we don't have wind farms, how will we make wind?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    If we don't have wind farms, how will we make wind?
    Eat more beans
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker