Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Total Immersion Swimming

Re: Total Immersion Swimming

Used some of the methods this morning. Went from taking 25 strokes for a length to only 20 with little extra effort physically but found I really had to think hard to concentrate on what I was doing. Will definitely persevere, feels like I'm going in the right direction, just slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    Used some of the methods this morning. Went from taking 25 strokes for a length to only 20 with little extra effort physically but found I really had to think hard to concentrate on what I was doing. Will definitely persevere, feels like I'm going in the right direction, just slowly.

I think you're right biara. I think you've got to really focus on form and just try to relax when doing so.

After making massive leaps forward with total immersion techniques this last month or so i now seem to have steadied out. I guess that was bound to happen though.

I'm just chuffed, as i'm now on average swimming my mile, 5 minutes quicker than before Christmas.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Just got back form half terms hols in Ibiza. Not been in pool for at least 8 weeks previous but still managed to do a couple of longish swims (.5 to .75 miles) in the sea without too much problem. Also using the 'head dwon; technique allowed me to see more of the underwater flora and fauna.
    Fatastic technique, made all the difference to my enjoyment of swimming.

Took a few swimming lessons at my local baths about 6 years ago as I was sick of not being able to do more than one length front craw withouth feeling like I was drowning.

A few lessons and my front crawl had come on loads - they taught the same sort of technique as Total Immersion Swimmming, which I also bought a few years back when I was doing some triathlons.

The trick is definatelly to relax, it shouldn't feel like hard work, it really should feel effortless like you're gliding through the water BUT you definately need to think about it until it becomes habit. I used to swim a mile a day and that helped. You'll find once you've got the basics of the technique then you can really start to concentrate on improving the indivdiual elements.

I would say though that having a couple of lessons is really worth it (local pools don't cost much) as you may think you're not crossing your arms over or may think you're kicking properly but in fact you're not.

Good luck with it.