Thread: Diet around morning workouts

alstonfered

Diet around morning workouts

I've noticed that most diets/ nutrition is tailored around the afternoon workout instead of the morning workout. Is there any difference between the two and how would a diet (cutting or bulking) look like if a person is doing workouts in the morning?

Re: Diet around morning workou

Pardon me, but are you a body builder? That's the first time I've read about "cutting and bulking" on these Forums, and await replies with interest...
    Grok on!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

I tend to do a lot of training early morning (up at 4.45 for a run today). I always have done, and have never really varied my diet from recommended, afternoon based diets.

Still ate the right stuff in the right quantities at decent times, just moving meals to a more convenient time when necessary to accommodate my training.

Only concessions being I don't tend to fuel up before really early am starts, but have a big brekkie afterwards. Any supplements I used to take within 20mins of my heaviest session that day - even if first thing.

Worked fine when I used to play rugby and bulked up on whey protein/creatine from 12-13st, and developed massive gains in speed/strength. Didn't go so far as 'cutting' though. Far too technical!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    I tend to do a lot of training early morning (up at 4.45 for a run today). I always have done, and have never really varied my diet from recommended, afternoon based diets.

Still ate the right stuff in the right quantities at decent times, just moving meals to a more convenient time when necessary to accommodate my training.

Only concessions being I don't tend to fuel up before really early am starts, but have a big brekkie afterwards. Any supplements I used to take within 20mins of my heaviest session that day - even if first thing.

Worked fine when I used to play rugby and bulked up on whey protein/creatine from 12-13st, and developed massive gains in speed/strength. Didn't go so far as 'cutting' though. Far too technical!
    Don't understand how you can do that Gary, i'd have to go to bed at 7:45 to be able to do that...what time do you go to bed out of interest
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Don't understand how you can do that Gary, i'd have to go to bed at 7:45 to be able to do that...what time do you go to bed out of interest
    Once I've read/finally forced myself to turn off the TV it's anything between 10.30-11.45. Tho' was worse before I decided to ease up my activity on here. Would regularly be 1.00am+!

I have to eat something even if im only running for 30 mins or i feel really light-headed and pretty rubbish during and after the run, hence why i never ever run in the mornings.
    I have to get up two hours before i run, eat something like a couple of crumpets and and go back to bed for a while and then run - only done that once, the food lied heavy on my stomach and many me feel funny.
    I much prefer evening running.

Quote Originally Posted by alstonfered View Post
    I've noticed that most diets/ nutrition is tailored around the afternoon workout instead of the morning workout. Is there any difference between the two and how would a diet (cutting or bulking) look like if a person is doing workouts in the morning?
    Interesting question, maybe this is where I'm going wrong as I tend to tailor my workouts (at any time of day) around my diet, i.e. I fit it in between eating.... oh and sleeping.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Im with the guys that eat before. I have had bad experiences of "blowing up" due to no breakfast before, although I was out 3 hours on a fell race. I think im lucky in that I can eat very close to a start of a run, literally eat and out. But that mars bar is better in the bumbag than in your cupboard at home, I mostly take sweets chocolate if im out a while. One thing that is interesting is that I do a bit of mountain biking and used to get fuzzy head most times on hilly rides within half an hour, id sit for five mins and eat sweets and id be fine. Yet ive never had the same experience running on no food. The best time to run is early morning in my opinion.

For me depends how big the run is. For anything like a 3-5mi run before work (so 5am start), it's up and out the door. This is a regular training pattern.

For anything more arduous, I'll make sure I'm up in time for a big bowl of porridge at least 45mins beforehand. E.g. all my Sunday CTJMs. For the 0430 start of the Pendle Monster, I'll probably get up at 0330 to eat.