Thread: Running & Sailing

Running & Sailing

Whilst I declare a commercial interest in the sailing bit (please feel free to google coastlight yacht charter) and deliberately avoid inserting a link to our web site.
    I can't be the only fell runner (or may be I am?) who likes to combine a bit of hill running with a bit of sailing.
    Last summer I had some fantastic training runs on the hills of Rhum and over the cliff tops of Canna, which were not constrained by a Calmac timetable or having to camp in a midge ridden bog. This summer the Cullins of Rhum look very inviting. Any one done this route?
    For anyone interested or already hooked, I have created the Running & Sailing Group on this forum.
    “Organising fell races doesn’t have to be complicated. All you need is a hill and some runners”

Re: Running & Sailing

It doesn't have to be competative running and sailing, but for those who like that sort of thing; how about the Scottish Islands Peaks Race http://www.scottishislandspeaksrace.com/index.html
    “Organising fell races doesn’t have to be complicated. All you need is a hill and some runners”

Just enjoyed a fantastic bank holiday weekend.
    Sunshine, real ale, seafood and mountains
    Sailed from Arisaig to Inverie on Loch Nevis, where The Old Forge http://www.theoldforge.co.uk/ claims to be Britain's remotest mainland pub and the hills of Knoydart are just fantastic.
    Anyone done the Knoydart 7 round?
    Happy to take you there.

Did leg 2 of the 3PYR yesterday but alas, no sailing was involved!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Runner View Post
    Just enjoyed a fantastic bank holiday weekend.
    Sunshine, real ale, seafood and mountains
    Sailed from Arisaig to Inverie on Loch Nevis, where The Old Forge http://www.theoldforge.co.uk/ claims to be Britain's remotest mainland pub and the hills of Knoydart are just fantastic.
    Anyone done the Knoydart 7 round?
    Happy to take you there.
    I'd love to go. Sailed to Scotland a few times but not gone further than Fort william, Always wanted to go up to coruisg etc

I have just joined the bassenthwaite sailing club and am learning the ropes so to speak
    its something Ive wanted to try for a long time & was amazed how reasonable it costs, as membership includes training etc.

Tomsdad
    Someone has to bring up the rear

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Runner View Post
    Whilst I declare a commercial interest in the sailing bit (please feel free to google coastlight yacht charter) and deliberately avoid inserting a link to our web site.
    I can't be the only fell runner (or may be I am?) who likes to combine a bit of hill running with a bit of sailing.
    Last summer I had some fantastic training runs on the hills of Rhum and over the cliff tops of Canna, which were not constrained by a Calmac timetable or having to camp in a midge ridden bog. This summer the Cullins of Rhum look very inviting. Any one done this route?
    For anyone interested or already hooked, I have created the Running & Sailing Group on this forum.
    used to do some dinghy racing with a mate who had a 20' whatever it was. i had the jib and hung out the side like a madman. we did do the Birkett trophy race on Ullswater a couple of times. its good fun until you put the spinaker up and then turn upside down cos you havent a clue what to do with a spinaker. would love a crack at the sailing 3 peaks challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    used to do some dinghy racing with a mate who had a 20' whatever it was. i had the jib and hung out the side like a madman. we did do the Birkett trophy race on Ullswater a couple of times. its good fun until you put the spinaker up and then turn upside down cos you havent a clue what to do with a spinaker. would love a crack at the sailing 3 peaks challenge
    Happy to do some coaching if I'm not busy, I've also done the Birkett, but those brothers(names escape me) in the Int canoes always won, but one of them was world Champion at the time I believe...