Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stolly Hill Runs 2010

Stolly Hill Runs 2010

Apologies in advance. I couldn't make my mind up until now whether to do this again or not but I've now decided to post pictures of good run outs, probably sticking to half decent weather when I can actually see some half decent views, and then only if the pictures cut the mustard. I'll try and cut out the bloggy waffle, I promise, and keep it sharp and tidy
    Last edited by Stolly; 03-02-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Re: Stolly Hill Runs 2010

Ingleborough from Clapham – 31/01/10

10 miles ~ 1900 feet

Clapham --> Long Lane --> open fell to Full Beck Head below Simon Fell --> Ingleborough --> Little Ingleborough --> Gaping Gill --> over the top parallel to Trow Gill --> Ingleborough Cave --> Ingleborough Estate Nature Trail --> Clapham

Looking back on my route up from Full Beck Head (with Pendle on the horizon)

Whernside, Blea Moor and a teeny weeny Ribblehead Viaduct from the edge of Ingleborough

Morecambe Bay from the top of Ingleborough

Ingleborough trig with Pen Y Ghent on the horizon

Last edited by Stolly; 02-02-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Errm, looks a bit "flat" don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Errm, looks a bit "flat" don't you think?

Morecambe Bay is flat

Stolly
    Some of us appreciated the bloggy waffle . The snaps are the bees knees too.

Keep them coming
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

The route (by and large) of the Malhamdale Meander

20 and a bit miles ~ 3,600 feet

Hanlith Bridge --> Malham --> Kirkby Fell --> Malham Cove --> Gordale Scar --> Street Gate --> Middle House Farm --> Monks Path to Dew Bottoms --> Parson's Pulpit --> Clapham High Mark --> Great Close Mire --> Mastile's Lane --> Smearbottoms Lane --> Weets Top --> Hanlith Moor --> Hanlith Bridge

This was more or less my route except that I started and finished at Hanlith Bridge, rather than Kirkby Malham, took an extended route passing the wrong side of Gordale Beck to get to Mastile's Lane and cut short the finish via Hanlith Moor, rather than going all the way down to Calton and then following the river back to Hanlith. A truly brilliant run with a lot of hard slogging involved (especially hard given my lack of decent run outs of late). The route is above 400 meters for much of the time and with the low cloud today I found myself mostly hidden in the mist.

This is the profile of the full meander and I more or less just cut out the flat bits at the start and end

The view soon after leaving Hanlith Bridge with the ridge line that I was to spend the next few hours hacking round dead ahead

Kirkby Fell and Pikedaw Hill hiding in the mist ahead

My foray the wrong side of Gordale Beck with Mastile's Lane running adjacent to the right to left wall in the distance (I missed a blatantly obvious path that cuts a huge diagonal across High Stony Bank. Doh!)

As they'd say in Oz, a bloody good blowout!
    Last edited by Stolly; 08-02-2010 at 12:13 AM.

My extended version of the Settle Loop

12 miles ~ 2,000 feet

Settle --> Watery Lane --> through the fields to Lambert Lane --> High Hill Lane --> Scaleber Force --> High Greet Radar Mast --> Rye Loaf Hill --> north down to pick up the Pennine Bridleway --> Hang a left at Nappa Cross --> pick up the Pennine Bridleway back in the direction of Langcliffe --> Jubilee Cave --> Brent Scar --> trig above Warrendale Knotts --> whiz down the hill back to Settle.

A fabulous run and I've found a new toy to play with.....

A 'panorama' picture looking back at my route up from just below the radar mast <--- Click Here

Looking towards Attermire from below High Greet

Pendle on the horizon

Rye Loaf Hill trig with all 3 Peaks in the far distance

Pen Y Ghent and Fountains Fell

Bloodyhell, looks like it was a cracking day down here today...was thick cloud ALL day in the lakes!

The Kingsdale 'loop' aka the Kingsdale Skyline aka le stolly tour de Kingsdale

24 miles ~ 4500 feet give or take

Kingsdale is without question the most beautiful and quiet valley in the Dales. If you're unsure where Kingsdale is, its the valley to the west of the Whernside ridge line; the last Dale I guess before the low(er) lands of the Kirkby Lonsdale bit of Cumbria.

Originally I'd planned to do a long run from Threshfield, following the Wharfedale offroad marathon route, but when I got in the car it was -5 degrees which, in my car, made the route over the tops to Threshfield more than a bit dodgy. So I decided on the Kingsdale circuit from Ingleton instead.

Ingleton --> waterfall walk path past Beezley Falls --> drop into the southern tip of Kingsdale --> Gragarath trig --> Great Coum --> the Whernside fell race/Fellsman descent into Dent --> a slog and a half up to the trig on Whernside --> Whernside ridge line all the way back to Ingleton.

A real epic with a fair bit of snow to contend with on the tops. 5 hours and 20 start to finish, including fannying about stops to take pictures and what not. Brilliant.

Starting my climb to Gragareth with Kingsdale below and Whernside on the horizon

The same view but from higher up

The Whernside ridgeline.... with a 'slide of doom' just a few inches to the left

Looking back at Whernside on the long run in to Ingleton

Panorama piccy of the day
    Last edited by Stolly; 21-02-2010 at 01:08 PM.