Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Stolly Hill Runs 2010

Re: Stolly Hill Runs 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Apologies in advance. I couldn't make my mind up until now whether to do this again or not but I've now decided to post pictures of good run outs, probably sticking to half decent weather when I can actually see some half decent views, and then only if the pictures cut the mustard. I'll try and cut out the bloggy waffle, I promise, and keep it sharp and tidy
    Stolly, I just caught up with your stuff. The photos are giving me SO much pleasure, and I'm very glad to have the route suggestions - could gladly use a bit more detail in them - hope to do some of them for real sometime when my long run is a bit longer! Finally, I love the cat - sometimes sit and watch him all through his repertoire. Well, no wonder I never have enough time - for running OR housework.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    I didn't spot Dave straight away he was quite well camouflaged there
    In hindsite Dave was awesome, we were wading through deep snow and dave just kept ploddin( although he needed carrying over some drifts)

Nearly to the top of Plover Hill and back from Horton

9 miles ~ 1,400 feet

I am now officially sick to the back teeth of bleeding, sodding, futher mucking snow!! My plan was to run out of Horton, around the western side of the Pen Y Ghent ~ Plover Hill ridge to Foxup Moor, up Plover, along the top and then whiz down from the trig on PyG. Unfortunately despite a bold effort, the side of Plover was impassable, either vertical snow and ice or deep drifts with the normal path completely buried. I did attempt a climb but reached a point where going up any further was suicidal and getting back down the way I'd gone up was becoming exceedingly tricky too. So I bottled it and decided to live to run another day and reversed my tracks.

Horton --> Horton Scar --> Hull Pot --> Horton Moor --> Foxup Moor --> nearly to the top of the vertical bit of Plover --> back to Hull Pot --> over Whitber Hill --> an off piste line to the western Pennine Way track --> Horton

Spot the footbridge... and the stream under it!

The bottom of my assault on Plover Hill

I got nearly to the top of this bit before losing my nerve

Left to right --> Ingleborough (the all white submarine), Park Fell and Whernside viewed from the top of Whitber Hill

Last edited by Stolly; 28-02-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Blinkin' Nora - good effort Solly. Yes I want the snow to go away too - so I can reccy Coniston. Sorry ice climbers, but is getting annoying now.

Hey Stolly, i went on my first run on pendle hill yesturday with hursty....whats not to like about it!

Its my little joke, largely because southernsoftie and ukhursty never seem to run any other flipping hill. I love the half tour route and do run it every now and then; the full tour route though is so contrived that you can end up hating the hill, especially on the 5th or 6th sodding climb

Its my little joke, largely because southernsoftie and ukhursty never seem to run any other flipping hill. I love the half tour route and do run it every now and then; the full tour route though is so contrived that you can end up hating the hill, especially on the 5th or 6th sodding climb

Well a fellow club mate said the pendle cloughs route was also contrived....i enjoyed the recce but its going to be a sod to race it.

When i can drive, i'll have to come and join you in - yorkshire - for some runs stolly!

The Dales are only an hour from Preston Al and its a stunning drive if you zip through Bowland.

That said I'm kind of getting stuck in my ways too and only ever want to run in the Dales nowadays - the peak has too much mud and bog and the lakes has too much rock and rubble.... and too many tourists

The Dales are only an hour from Preston Al and its a stunning drive if you zip through Bowland.

That said I'm kind of getting stuck in my ways too and only ever want to run in the Dales nowadays - the peak has too much mud and bog and the lakes has too much rock and rubble.... and too many tourists
    Well it will be a while yet.....but i'm excited already!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Oh god! The Dales, the Dales, the Dales, that's all we ever hear about! Why not run somewhere else...
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk