Thread: Alternative exercises

Alternative exercises

Hi everyone, new member here looking for a bit of advice.

I'm a regular fell runner, not really into racing but just like running for it's own sake. I'm lucky enough to live in the Lake District and even luckier to have a job which takes me all over the county and is flexible enough to allow me to stop for a couple of hours and take in some peaks. Not that I'm trying to brag, but I'm sure you can understand why running means a lot to me.

Anyway, I repeatedly sprained my ankle about four months ago and spent several weeks doing the usual stuff like standing on one leg, running on roads and other general ankle strengthening exercises. It more or less worked, and I was able to get back on the fells with only the occasional twinge although I have never felt totally confident with it. Yesterday I was out and twisted the bugger again, very painful at the time and still sore now although not swollen. When I went over on it there was a snapping sound, and the only thing that stopped me from vomiting with pain was the amount of screaming and swearing I was doing (as much from frustration as anything).

So, back to square one with the rehab. I'm going to follow the routine I did last time but am thinking I should take a much longer break from the fells and do some other exercise to maintain cardio fitness and muscle tone. Does anyone have any advice about what I could do instead? I already swim 2/3 times per week, but am thinking about cycling-is this going to harm my ankle recovery?
    Last edited by Raspberry; 03-02-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Super Moderator

Re: Alternative exercises

I twisted my right ankle last September and didn't run for 11days. I did cycle as soon as I could though and felt it helped. I'm a big fan of the wobbleboard and use mine regularly

Welcome to the forum. Your job sounds perfect!

Cheers for that, yes my job does have it's advantages. I've never tried a wobbleboard, I'll look into getting one. Did your injury heal fully, or does it still bother you now and again?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry View Post
    Cheers for that, yes my job does have it's advantages. I've never tried a wobbleboard, I'll look into getting one. Did your injury heal fully, or does it still bother you now and again?
    I'm told standing on a rolled up towel is a (cheaper) alternative to a wobble board

Ankle still niggly but I ignore it

Smile Re: Alternative exercises

After a few similar incidents, which I think always leaves the ankles a bit weaker, regardless of how much excercise you give them, I purchased a pair of Walsh's PB boots, they provide just that bit extra support for ankles, feel just like the ordinary PB shoes to run in, have had no problems since and have worn them for several years now, probably on my third pair !

speaking as on orienteer, which means i get to run on very rubbish ground and the owner of a pair of old dodgy ankles i would advise appropriate strapping . This is used a lot by top orienteers it provides an improved feel for what your ankle is doing (proprioception) with a limit to how far over it can go . If applied properly it should not limit movement on the ankle but beware hairy legs.

Thanks for that, I was wondering about both boots and strapping; Salomon do a nice ankle boot I've taken a bit of a shine to. Over Christmas, what with all the snow and ice, I did a bit of running in my walking boots. It was OK, but I could do with something a bit lighter. I'll give the tape a try as well; I had plantar fascites (spelling?) a few years back, and a bit of gaffer tape on the sole of my feet did wonders.