Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ive to cut the red meat.

Lola

Re: Ive to cut the red meat.

Al,

I've been veggie since '91 and you are right, some of the recipes can be a little fiddly and need lots more ingredients than just a slab of meat but..although a bit old fashioned these days why not run down to your local library and copy a few recipes from their books and see how you get on?
    You may have to be a little adventurous with content such as quinoa and couscous but once you have a meal you like down pat its just what you have for your dinner (tea is cucumber or salmon sandwiches, fruit cake and Earl Grey with lemon).
    Don't be too tempted with the likes of 'fake' bacon, its crap.

Best of luck, PM me if you get stuck for ideas.

Thankyou lola.

Ive decided, im going to properly looking into 'plant' foods recipies, my mum has a few books and they've got plenty of veggie meals... BUT...i am not giving up meat totally...i cannot!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Thankyou lola.

Ive decided, im going to properly looking into 'plant' foods recipies, my mum has a few books and they've got plenty of veggie meals... BUT...i am not giving up meat totally...i cannot!
    Plant food recipes
    AL I think we need a chat

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Plant food recipes
    AL I think we need a chat
    Haha, thats what all the stuff ive read keeps mentionings....plant plant plant plant plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Al,

I've been veggie since '91 and you are right, some of the recipes can be a little fiddly and need lots more ingredients than just a slab of meat but..although a bit old fashioned these days why not run down to your local library and copy a few recipes from their books and see how you get on?
    You may have to be a little adventurous with content such as quinoa and couscous but once you have a meal you like down pat its just what you have for your dinner (tea is cucumber or salmon sandwiches, fruit cake and Earl Grey with lemon).
    Don't be too tempted with the likes of 'fake' bacon, its crap.

Best of luck, PM me if you get stuck for ideas.
    Sorry, but I don't get the eating salmon sandwiches bit and being a vegetarian.

Lola

Delicious,

My point was to distinguish between a tea meal and dinner; the tea menu was appropriate for that occasion. Personally, I have to work for a living so don't get home in time for a true tea meal so your sandwich comment does not apply to me. Salmon eating in itself is a different issue but not one that applies to Al as he is not intending to become vegetarian.

Soups

Get yourself a good soup book. There are hundreds of veggie and mainly-veggie soups and they taste a lot nicer than just having the vegetables. If you make them good and thick, they're a proper meal.

Loadsa fresh crusty bread, dash of natural yoghurt or cream, black pepper, fresh parsley or coriander. Lovely.

Very easy to make too.

I'm trying to think what were my other staples when I was veggie. Chilli (with quorn mince), mushroom curry, stir fry, omelettes...

Start living off seeds Al; think of the delicious, constipating things you could be living off. Roasted seeds, deep fried seeds, sautee'd in a little butter seeds, home made roasted seed flavour Johnny Cakes. Mmm delicious, backs me up just thinking about it, you may be turning up to races with scurvy and ricketts but it shouldn't be a problem.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Have been vegan for 19 years.
    I guess the most important thing is variety, a vegan/veggie could easily live on chips and chocolate but that's ermmm probably not too good after a while.
    Despite all its shortcomings, meat does generally contain all the amino acids that the body requires, so I would say if not bothering just read up on the subject and ensure you're still getting all the important minerals and vitamins etc from the non meat foods.
    As my old man died of a heart attack quite young, the quack told me to stay off the red meat, quite pleased really as it never really did it for me. And cos it takes ages to digest in the gut, there's always some rot going on there, not to mention meat poop pongs, phew, talk about hanging.
    There are some super foods such as quinoa, which is supposed to contain all the aminos, and I guess there are others.
    As long as you do lots of fruit and veg (general knowledge anyway) and ensure you get all your viatmins and minerals and protein, then you too can be normal, ha!
    My protein sources can come from anything wholemeal/wholewheat, instead of white and plain gubbins, lots of seeds, pulses, tofu, tempeh etc,and yes, having been brought up in a meat and 2 veg household, it has encouraged me to learn about aother foods and meals.
    Fish is really really good for you if I've heard, although fish farmed sources are suspect.
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

What's for tea Al? I've had sirloin steak and new potatos
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent