Thread: Warming up with asthma

Warming up with asthma

Hi
    I have asthma and have only done a few fell races, last weekend i was really struggling. I have inhalers and took them before I ran but I still thought i was going to die. I have read the other asthma threads and they are really helpful, so can anyone recommend the best way of warming up and timing inhalers to help?

Thanks

Clare

Re: Warming up with asthma

On cold days when running do you wrap a scarf over your mouth or a balaclava as this will warm the air you're breathing in and not antagonise the situation further.
    They called me mad and i called them mad and damn them they outvoted me !!!.

Clare,

What sort of distance races are you talking about? I take the purple (preventer) in the morning and have a quick blast on the blue (reliver) about 15 minutes before the off. If I'm doing a long fells race I tend not to bother warming up pre race and just take the first 2 miles very steady, mind you then I seem to take the rest pretty steady too Anyway, shorter races I will do a warm up but after the inhaler, I never take it just as I'm about to set off as don't find this helps.

Thanks for the advice, the race I felt awful on was short and i had tried warming up but probably not enought to start going straight uphill.
    Thanks
    Clare