Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ive to cut the red meat.

Re: Ive to cut the red meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Al, 'classroom idiots' made me smile!

I gave up meat for around 6years while living with a vegetarian woman. I didn't eat meat at all and fish perhaps twice a month. I felt strong and healthy on that diet and it seemed to suit me well. What red meat do you eat and how often? If I eat steak or big chunks of stewing meat I often find they lay a bit heavy on my stomach. I'd not eat something like that the night before a long run or important race Let me have a think about what we used to eat and I'll perhaps pm you.

If you think it'd help I don't mind popping over to sample one of your mum's Sunday roasts, in the name of research, obviously.
    Aye theres room round the table for one more!

Im just trying to think now what ive eaten this week, i dont think we've had and fat steaks yet.

If i dont cut the red meat totally, i think as you said its wise to leave it out the day before a race and just eat some grass or something. I cant remember what i ate before langdale or shephards skyline but my stomach was really bad for both of those races so i'll put money on it being a big juicey slab of cow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenees Haven View Post
    I've been a vegetarian for 27 years and my running hasn't suffered, it is the cider that slowed me down. You can't beat a mushroom and rocquefort cheese pie.

Gary Devine
    Cheers gary, obviously it certainly doesnt slow you down not eating the meet!
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 06-02-2010 at 03:09 PM.

Al, I've been vegetarian for about 15 years and although I am a bit bad at the sciency bit of eating the right nutrients for running, so far my running continues to improve. There are masses of great recipes out there and I never miss meat (although I do miss fish a bit) and being vegetarian can make you far more creative and eat healthier food. As you are a big meat eater you may need to think about a meat substitute to make it easier.

I know a lot of people miss the texture and 'weight' of meat and I think that quorn pieces, mince and steaks are a good way of getting a meaty feel to your food and not having to adapt your cooking skills too much. They are very low in fat too. Or you could try tofu or tempeh but I don't know many meat eaters who like it (it can be very nice when cooked properly). I tend to make stews like bean casserole, mixed winter veg (bung some cider in and it tastes lovely) etc. Mexican food with beans and chillis, curries with lots of veg, risottos (leek, mushroom and lemon with parmesan is gorgeous), omelettes, potato in ever shape and form, aubergine bakes...that sort of thing. Nice filling wintery food that makes you feel full up and is delicious. Get a good recipe book and you'll see that it really needn't be a miserable experience!

Good luck.

have not eaten meat in this country (lived abroad for 3 years, so needed met due to no veggie options!!) since '92. Have done loads of races etc with no hassle, I just need to think abit about my diet eg ensuring my 5 a day.

If you check out certain fitness magazines you often find a list of alkaline foods that might negate any acidic feelings.

Possible solution is to look at how you eat your meat ie with what other substances. Try knocking out the potatoes, but eating all other veg, it might not sit on your stomach quite so much and cause the problems.

Being veggie, I'll eat quorn, some nice stuff some dire!!!! I eat eggs, cheese, lots of salady bits, wholemeal bread etc. I still indulge with eating chocolate etc. Am training for ironman at the moment so am needing to look carefully at diet so that I have no problems, I do lapse and eat crap foods but I realise this and just think a bit!! I don't miss meat at all, though I did like eating it in africa. In fact the last stuff I ate, I killed.

Cheers B...gives me something else to think about.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Aye theres room round the table for one more!

Im just trying to think now what ive eaten this week, i dont think we've had and fat steaks yet.

If i dont cut the red meat totally, i think as you said its wise to leave it out the day before a race and just eat some grass or something. I cant remember what i ate before langdale or shephards skyline but my stomach was really bad for both of those races so i'll put money on it being a big juicey slab of cow.

Cheers gary, obviously it certainly doesnt slow you down not eating the meet!

AL
    I dont eat red meat mate.
    I love fish though

Personally i suffered on just a vegetarian diet for about 6 months. I didnt crack once but found that I wasnt eating well. ( Cheese mostly). I know that may sound a bit pathetic to a vegetarian but in the end I bottled it and went back to a bit of chicken and fish.
    I wanted to change because of the terrible way we rear our poultry.

So I now try and just get a local reared free range chicken.

Good luck but Its a big change.

Cheers daz, i was hoping you'd post!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Cheers daz, i was hoping you'd post!
    It won't make you run any faster..... you gotta train to do that

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    It won't make you run any faster..... you gotta train to do that

and also eat
    be mindfull of that

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    and also eat
    be mindfull of that

..... we can't all stuff our faces with chocolate coissants or what ever it is you find....

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    ..... we can't all stuff our faces with chocolate coissants or what ever it is you find....
    I find they are good before a race

not eaten stuff like steak pie or steak for ages.