Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Expect ?

What Do You Expect ?

For your Money ??

I have entered a 40 mile ‘Ultra’ later in the year. My reason for doing this is that I need 2 points towards my UTMB application for 2011 and at this late stage of the year are not too many choices of event.

However, the event/race is classed as self-supported which I have to accept and I will stash some food around the course beforehand. But this got me thinking, what do I expect for my £35 entry fee? For this event, it looks like I’ll be getting some plain water at a couple of stages, and that’s it. :thunbdown:

Contrast this to say the Fellsman. It’s 61 miles and for an entry fee of £23 (2010 event) I got fed at 8 checkpoints and at the finish.

OK I have already said that I’m doing the event for the 2 points and as a mid pack runner I do not enter events to win prizes. But if it were not for the much needed 2 points, what would attract me to enter. Unfortunately the answer is nothing. I can do a self-supported run anywhere in the country at any time of year and I don’t need to pay £35 for it.

I don’t include short fell races in this ‘criticism’, but for ultras when you are likely to be out for a considerable length of time in possibly adverse weather, I do think there should be more on offer on the route such as simple food, hot & cold drinks etc, and something more substantial at the finish to replace all that expended energy.

I’m half expecting to get flamed for this, but what’s the consensus of opinion here?

DB

Re: What Do You Expect ?

name and shame them DB....!

Super Moderator

Difficult position DB. I think 35 quid for a few glasses of water just highlights the fantastic work put in by the organisers, marshals and timekeepers of fell races (BOFRA included) and LDWA challenge events

What's the event? Brecon Beacons?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

You're right Derby on both counts; the fantastic value for money that are the LDWA and similar events/races, and the location of the ultra.

DB

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Breath View Post
    For your Money ??

I have entered a 40 mile ‘Ultra’ later in the year. My reason for doing this is that I need 2 points towards my UTMB application for 2011 and at this late stage of the year are not too many choices of event.

However, the event/race is classed as self-supported which I have to accept and I will stash some food around the course beforehand. But this got me thinking, what do I expect for my £35 entry fee? For this event, it looks like I’ll be getting some plain water at a couple of stages, and that’s it. :thunbdown:

Contrast this to say the Fellsman. It’s 61 miles and for an entry fee of £23 (2010 event) I got fed at 8 checkpoints and at the finish.

OK I have already said that I’m doing the event for the 2 points and as a mid pack runner I do not enter events to win prizes. But if it were not for the much needed 2 points, what would attract me to enter. Unfortunately the answer is nothing. I can do a self-supported run anywhere in the country at any time of year and I don’t need to pay £35 for it.

I don’t include short fell races in this ‘criticism’, but for ultras when you are likely to be out for a considerable length of time in possibly adverse weather, I do think there should be more on offer on the route such as simple food, hot & cold drinks etc, and something more substantial at the finish to replace all that expended energy.

I’m half expecting to get flamed for this, but what’s the consensus of opinion here?

DB
    Stop ya winging.
    If you dont want to pay £35 for the event go get yourself a map and set off on your own on a time and date that suits you.
    You then dont need to let anyone know how you did or how bad the organisation is.
    Simpples

I was waiting for such a response, and I have already said that I accept that it is self-supported and I'm doing it for the UTMB points. But I do not understand how organisers can charge so much and give nothing in return. As I said, contrast to the Fellsman. But if not for the 2 UTMB points why would I want to pay £35 to do a self-supported run. Would you ?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Breath View Post
    You're right Derby on both counts; the fantastic value for money that are the LDWA and similar events/races, and the location of the ultra.

DB
    Hope you enjoy it and get your UTMB entry. It's a means to an end I suppose. Relatively expensive entries fees are probably the result of road runners who are used to them, drifting into off-road running
    Poacher turned game-keeper

To be fair, just be pleased that you're a fell runner. You would pay a similar amount to that just to run a road half marathon such as the Great North Run. The Great Yorkshire Run (a mere 10k) was £27 this year! Good luck with your race and your UTMB aspirations.

Is this the event organised by Likeys? Why not send Martin an email with your concerns?

I see that the course is a loop and they'll be retiring competitors who don't make the cut off in time for lap 2.

No, it's not organised by Likeys.