Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water, water, everywhere...

Water, water, everywhere...

Now that the weather is hotting up a bit, what does everybody do with regards taking on fluid during races? What distance is ok without? I can normally run 6 mile/10k without carrying water, but this weekend found I really needed water during a 4 mile race because of the heat. Being a new runner who only started during the winter I've never run in the heat so I've got no idea, and the few fell/road races I've done hardly anybody carried water on less than 10 milers.

undercover moderator

Re: Water, water, everywhere..

If it's warm, I'll carry water (or an empty bottle to get some with) for anything lasting over 75 minutes or so.

Shorter than that, and I don't reckon the the hassle/dehydration balance is worth it.

For a 4 mile race, you may feel a bit hot and bothered, but by the time you have absorbed the water you'll have finished.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    Now that the weather is hotting up a bit, what does everybody do with regards taking on fluid during races? What distance is ok without? I can normally run 6 mile/10k without carrying water, but this weekend found I really needed water during a 4 mile race because of the heat. Being a new runner who only started during the winter I've never run in the heat so I've got no idea, and the few fell/road races I've done hardly anybody carried water on less than 10 milers.

carry some on your short runs
    you can always tip it away
    no ones gonna bother if you carry a little bottle of cold water on a 3 mile race on a hot day like this weekend
    if you dont feel you need it wait till your near the end and tip it out or drink it at the finish

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    carry some on your short runs
    you can always tip it away
    no ones gonna bother if you carry a little bottle of cold water on a 3 mile race on a hot day like this weekend
    if you dont feel you need it wait till your near the end and tip it out or drink it at the finish
    good point.
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

I am not one for hot weather.

Anything above about 22 degrees and i am no good to anyone. I'm grumpy, sweaty, whiny and uncooperative.

I do not have fun in hot weather. The only bearable things about hot weather for me are air conditioned bars serving cold beer in bottles with condensation on them.

Give me good, solid cloud cover and a light breeze any day.

My perfect day would probably feature drizzle.

You can stick your hot weather where, er, the sun don't shine
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

I normally run in the early morning or evening, so my first proper run in the midday sun was a bit of a shock, no breeze, nothing...just heat. What I'd have given for some drizzle or a bit of cloud.

I have tried running holding a bottle, but I get pee'd off with it after a while, particularly if it is half full and sloshing about. I can't fit it into my bumbag, although I did try one of the triangular "runners" bottles that hold about 200ml and threaded the staps through the middle, but its only 200ml, so one swig and its gone. Not sure about running with my camelbak, but might give it a try as I'm going to need it later in the year.

I don't mind running with my hydration pack (North Face Hammerhead), and I'll take it for anything over a 1-hour run. I don't notice that it's there once I'm running, other than to slake my thirst. Key thing is to get used to judging how much water you'll need, i.e. don't take 3 (heavy!) litres for a half-marathon or short hill run. I like it because I always have water on demand, and if I feel it's running out, I can ration the last bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    I am not one for hot weather.

Anything above about 22 degrees and i am no good to anyone. I'm grumpy, sweaty, whiny and uncooperative.

I do not have fun in hot weather. The only bearable things about hot weather for me are air conditioned bars serving cold beer in bottles with condensation on them.

You can stick your hot weather where, er, the sun don't shine

Have to agree!

Wouldn't mind trying that. I don't like aspartame, and never let my kids have it but I do use isotonics now and again and they all seem to contain it. Sometimes get stomach cramps on long runs and I suspect there may be a connection.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...