Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coniston Fell Race

Re: Coniston Fell Race

It seems only right that you divulge the exact details of aforementioned route then! Not that I'll be up and running by then...

It's home ground for you Trundler, given that Coniston IS Lancashire's highest fell, if we time-warped back to the 60s or whenever it was...
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    It seems only right that you divulge the exact details of aforementioned route then! Not that I'll be up and running by then...

It's home ground for you Trundler, given that Coniston IS Lancashire's highest fell, if we time-warped back to the 60s or whenever it was...
    He showed me the way as well

Trouble was it was pitch black at the time

Bill

You can follow the tourist track till the end of the first main zig overlooking the lake, then ignore the zag and pick up a friendly grassy ramp that rejoins the main track again below the lake. It can be a safer bet if you dont know the best line 'over the top'.

I've just seen in the calender that there is camping at the event centre. Is that right? Has anyone camped there before.

Graeme

I emailed the organisers to ask about it. It's a fiver a night, not sure if thie is per person, or per pitch, he said there are no facilities, however the club should be open and you'll be able to use that. The headmaster will collect the fees :shrug:

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by CribGoch View Post
    You can follow the tourist track till the end of the first main zig overlooking the lake, then ignore the zag and pick up a friendly grassy ramp that rejoins the main track again below the lake. It can be a safer bet if you dont know the best line 'over the top'.

I'm not sure there is a "best line 'over the top'". I've used a line based on the tourist track but with generous shortcutting perhaps 10 times and I've always gained ground. Even after hours of rambling all over that side of the Old Man on recces I've never found a reliable 'better' route. My best time from the Old Man to the finish using the line based on the tourist track is 14 minutes (and I'm no elite runner - PB 1:21) so it must be a fast line.

My advice would be don't waste your time looking for the mythical 'optimum line' the line described by CribGoch above takes some beating!

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post

Are you injured again Mr Noor?.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Keycock View Post
    Are you injured again Mr Noor?.
    Ja.

Wonkey ankle, needs putting straight.

Did 5 minutes on treadmill yesterday. Think it'll be a few more weeks till back on hills.... oh how I miss them.

It's not the same standing watching at Caw Fell...
    Why walk when you can run.

I'll be there on the start line. Camping also with Mrs Mapper, AlsoRan and Mrs AlsoRan. Hoping for lovely warm weather to work up a thirst for a few scoops of Coniston Bluebird afterwards.
    See the light in the night

disco stan

I'll be having a dabble at this one. Pub sounds a good idea afterwards.