Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Trigs

Re: 15 Trigs

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Ian,

Was thinking of doing the 15 trigs next year and was hoping you still had your schedule (or someone elses) that you ran to? I will be doing a few recces and would like to know the pace I should be setting?

Be much appreciated if you could dig it out or let me know any further info on the round?
    AJF

This is the Schedule we set off to, It's Plumbums, The pace is a bit faster than bg pace which we found comfortable, infact if you read my account you will see we were up by 20 mins at Alport but then the sun came out and it really slowed us down. We lost most out time due to the heat and lack of water, not lack of food, Make sure you know where all the springs are (there are three on route and one or two good streams).

After our water cache at Yorkshire Bridge when the sun dropped we were flying again taking about 40 minutes off PB's time to the finish.

If you need any company on the recces let me know or I might join you for a while on the big day or at least join you for a blonde in the bar afterwards.

Good luck

Ian

TRIG POINT TIME ACCUMULATED TIME SPLIT TIMES

Hrs:mins Hrs:mins

START 5:33am

ROD MOOR 6:10am 0:37 0:37

EMLIN 7:11am 1:38 1:01

BACK TOR 8:08am 2:35 0:57

MARGERY HILL 9:04am 3:31 0:56

OUTER EDGE 9:33am 4:00 0:29

ALPORT 10:45am 5:12 1:12

SHELF STONES 11:37am 6:04 0:52

COCK HILL 12:10pm 6:37 0:33

HARRY HUT 1:17pm 7:44 1:07

KINDER WEST 2:01pm 8:28 0:46

KINDER LOW 2:35pm 9:02 0:34

BROWN KNOLL 2:55pm 9:22 0:20

BLACKDEN 4:13pm 10:40 1:18

WIN HILL 5:31pm 11:58 1:18

HIGH NEB 6:31pm 12:58 1:00

FINISH 7:30pm 13:57 0:59

Hi,

Thanks for this! Much appreciated.

Will def let you know when starting recce's. Will be in the New Year Jan/Feb/March for a spring round. Try and get it done before race calender madness of June to August.

Anthony

I did a variation of the route , with support, 11 years ago to celebrate my 50th birthday starting and finishing in Glossop which makes it slightly easier I think. I went clockwise doing Cock Hill first and Harry Hut last. My route choice was almost identical in reverse to that of IDP. I did a write up which was featured in the Fellrunner in October 1996 if you are interested. Also a couple of the KFR lads did a Hayfield variation starting from the Royal; Sandy Heys first, Harry Hut last if remember rightly.

One or two of us from Penistone have done a Langset start version.
    Starting with Outer Edge and finishing with Marjory Hill.

IanDarkPeak (or anyone else who can help),

I am going to do the 15 Trigs sometime this month or next and I have plotted the route.

Could I be (extremely) cheeky and ask you to look at the section I have plotted from The Sportsman to Back Tor and tell me whether I am on the right lines? I'm going to recce this bit on Saturday so any help would be much appreciated.

Mark
    Last edited by marko; 12-08-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Cannot tell you the bit from Sportsman to Emlin but the bit from there to Back tor is the right way to go. Tried the direct route and also the up to the path and along route. Heather even in winter slowed things down a fair bit the direct route.

Ian DP showed me the way though so he is the man to ask. He also had a similar way to you on the next section although cutting off earlier and using streams and groughs for nav.

I think I prefer the down and up of going near Lost Lad so I could get water and miss out a lot of clambering up and down groughs. Despite the hills it just seemed easier running. Need to re-recce that bit though to see if my memory serves me correct.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    I think I prefer the down and up of going near Lost Lad so I could get water and miss out a lot of clambering up and down groughs. Despite the hills it just seemed easier running.
    We went that way on the High Peak Marathon, now you mention it - F. Moss lives up to its name but OK running. Very useful description IanDP, and I enjoyed your account too. I see your Gibraltar Rocks variation; the descent to the Dale Dike Resr is direct through the trees, yes? And is it not possible to cross the dam?

I'd like to have a go at this when I get a chance.

A couple of other things I forgot to ask:

No mention of the Stanage Edge trig at SK250830 - is it not on the KIMM map?

After High Neb, is a shortcut via Stanedge Lodge feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by marko View Post
    IanDarkPeak (or anyone else who can help),

I am going to do the 15 Trigs sometime this month or next and I have plotted the route at the following link:

http://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/os_routes/show/4391

Could I be (extremely) cheeky and ask you to look at the section I have plotted from The Sportsman to Back Tor and tell me whether I am on the right lines? I'm going to recce this bit on Saturday so any help would be much appreciated.

Mark
    From Rod Moor it is possible to head WNW to pick up the path.
    from 250 906 you can head direct over Gib rocks to the access land just north and down track. This is actually a tresspass but it is over heathland.
    We went pretty much direct through the woods and over the dam wall.
    From Harry Hut follow the grouse butts above and behind do not attempt to go direct it is very rough going and the clough is steep, deep and loose.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    We went that way on the High Peak Marathon, now you mention it - F. Moss lives up to its name but OK running. Very useful description IanDP, and I enjoyed your account too. I see your Gibraltar Rocks variation; the descent to the Dale Dike Resr is direct through the trees, yes? And is it not possible to cross the dam?

I'd like to have a go at this when I get a chance.
    Cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    A couple of other things I forgot to ask:

No mention of the Stanage Edge trig at SK250830 - is it not on the KIMM map?

After High Neb, is a shortcut via Stanedge Lodge feasible?
    I don't think the Trig was on the map but you could add it in, Two other trigs around Loxley valley have been added to the route by some other DPers setting off from there has been done.
    You could possibly go via the lodge but the path is good and fast so so why go via the rough stuff..

Good luck to you all.
    Marko let me know what time you are going and I might join you for a short bit.
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 03-07-2008 at 11:31 PM.

You can also go round Redmire Res the other way (S). Much nicer running and better for the feet.