Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Trigs

Re: 15 Trigs

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

Steve also did the Derwent Devil 2 weeks a go....Is he in training for something....????
    I believe that's a definite may be, Ian, but he generally prefers to do such things in relatively splendid isolation ...

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Has anyone done both 15 Trigs and Tan Hill to Kirkstone? If so, what times? I was just wondering what my chances of getting under 15 hours for the 15 Trigs were. If nobody's done them both yet I'll have to wait for MOUNTAIN MAN's 15 Trigs attempt I suppose.
    I think you will be fine Andy, It's just a case of keeping the pace going. for a big outing theres not a huge amount of climbing

Just a thought
    Al Yates/ Dave Lockward plus a few others from DP have but I think there was a big time gap between them

Has anyone done both 15 Trigs and Tan Hill to Kirkstone? If so, what times? I was just wondering what my chances of getting under 15 hours for the 15 Trigs were. If nobody's done them both yet I'll have to wait for MOUNTAIN MAN's 15 Trigs attempt I suppose.
    I would have thought you should get comfortably under 15. Before contemplating the 15 trigs I enquired with Dave Lockwood (DPFR) who has done both and he seemed to think the Tan - Kirk was tougher, but obviously weather and underfoot conditions are big factors on both routes. I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment - keep delaying an attempt because of a hip flexor/fitness problem but suspect these dry conditions will not last much longer so might gamble that the injury will impede me less than the boggy conditions I might have to contend with if I leave it much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    I would have thought you should get comfortably under 15. Before contemplating the 15 trigs I enquired with Dave Lockwood (DPFR) who has done both and he seemed to think the Tan - Kirk was tougher, but obviously weather and underfoot conditions are big factors on both routes. I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment - keep delaying an attempt because of a hip flexor/fitness problem but suspect these dry conditions will not last much longer so might gamble that the injury will impede me less than the boggy conditions I might have to contend with if I leave it much longer.
    Thanks MM & IDP. Agree with you completely MM on the conditions underfoot. The boggy bits on THK only make up a small proportion of it, but it was all as good as you're ever going to get it underfoot last weekend. If it stays dry I might be tempted mid-week 17-21 May. Unless I come to my senses first that is...
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Another problem by delaying could be the lack of water and the humidity, Also there are signs the bracken is strating to grow.....

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Got your MemoryMap track open, Ian....
    IDP: have you got a MemoryMap track of your 15 Trigs route then? That would be very useful, & could save me a lot of time. Can you send me a copy please?
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

I've just spotted the Open Country access restriction info on the Dark Peak FR website. It appears that there is no access to High Neb 15-28 May, 1-4 June, 7-11 June, 14-18 June. On the face of it that looks like no 14 Peaks rounds can be done on those dates without risking being shot. Or is there a way round this?
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

I've just spotted the Open Country access restriction info on the Dark Peak FR website. It appears that there is no access to High Neb 15-28 May, 1-4 June, 7-11 June, 14-18 June. On the face of it that looks like no 14 Peaks rounds can be done on those dates without risking being shot. Or is there a way round this?
    Good point - two observations: 1. the restrictions do not apparently cover public rights of way; 2. the dates you mention cover two weekends in May - otherwise, the dates are all weekdays.

It's the DP AGM tonight so I'll try to find out whether High Neb is on a public r.o.w. and report back.

I note, Ian, that your new avatar is climbing the walls ... in honour of your enforced lay-off?!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFlash View Post
    Good point - two observations: 1. the restrictions do not apparently cover public rights of way; 2. the dates you mention cover two weekends in May - otherwise, the dates are all weekdays.

It's the DP AGM tonight so I'll try to find out whether High Neb is on a public r.o.w. and report back.

I note, Ian, that your new avatar is climbing the walls ... in honour of your enforced lay-off?!
    Thanks Flash. The ROW runs along the foot of the edge, not along the top. The trig point is about 100 metres from the ROW. And it was mid-week I was thinking of giving it a go.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

IDP: have you got a MemoryMap track of your 15 Trigs route then? That would be very useful, & could save me a lot of time. Can you send me a copy please?
    I might not have my track but I do have the route logged. Pm me you email adress and I'll send it.

Last year I sneaked up the path mid week from moscar side over the top to check out the crag as I was taking some friends climbing over the weekend. loads of birds about, tried to keep my head down but there wasn't much point. the crag was full of climbers and walkers along the top.

Thanks Flash. The ROW runs along the foot of the edge, not along the top. The trig point is about 100 metres from the ROW. And it was mid-week I was thinking of giving it a go.

I was talking to one of the Park wardens for the NT over the weekend and he basically told me to go where I wanted as long as I wasn't causing any damage. If approached just say sorry you didn't realise as you hadn't come via a marked access point. the only real problem may be Emlin to Cartledge Rocks(check the dates) as you pass close buy the game keepers house and a shooting hut