Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Trigs

Re: 15 Trigs

A late start led to a change of plan... ended up parking at Ladybower and heading up to Back Tor via Hollin Clough.

It was very claggy in the morning so missed the trod N of Cartledge Brook & heather bashed across Stainery Clough... clag cleared & sun out by the time we got to Margery Hill

Carried on to Outer Edge then on to Alport. Back to car via Alport Castles

Any clues as to the location of the trod by Cartledge Brook? How distinct is it? I was wondering how quick it would be to cut over Lost Lad to pick up the track heading down Sheephead Clough, then cut up Gravy Clough to pick up path along Howden Edge? Grateful for any advice!

Quote Originally Posted by lawriej View Post
    A late start led to a change of plan... ended up parking at Ladybower and heading up to Back Tor via Hollin Clough.

It was very claggy in the morning so missed the trod N of Cartledge Brook & heather bashed across Stainery Clough... clag cleared & sun out by the time we got to Margery Hill

Any clues as to the location of the trod by Cartledge Brook? How distinct is it? I was wondering how quick it would be to cut over Lost Lad to pick up the track heading down Sheephead Clough, then cut up Gravy Clough to pick up path along Howden Edge? Grateful for any advice!
    The sheep fold clough route has been used but does add a fair bit of climbing so early in the route.

The trod used to be obvious as there was a fingerpost at the turning which was removed 3 years ago. there is a small cairn still there and the path leads off at right angles to Dukes it's at approx SK 2075 9338 it heads up it's NE side eventually but is a bit higher to start with.

Unless you want to take in High Stone (Highest point in the county) follow the trod that splits right at SK 1978 9419 and head NW picking up quad tracks

all pretty rough round here but doesn't last long but better than Stainery Clough

feel free to ask for more

Lawrie,
    I have recent experience of Cartledge Brook. I ran along the brook and it is rough. If you want to find the trod, carry on along the Bradfield path for a short while and you will pick up the trod going left. It joins the brook halfway to Howden Edge.
    The optimum HPM route from Sheepfold Clough goes up on the right of Foul Clough, it crosses it and heads to Howden Edge (trods all the way). Gravy Clough loses you too much height. But this is not the best route for the 15 trigs. Approaching Back Tor along the paved Cartledge Stones path, you can leave your sack and pick it up on your return. The paved path is quicker even if unpleasant.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Lawrie,
    I have recent experience of Cartledge Brook. I ran along the brook and it is rough. If you want to find the trod, carry on along the Bradfield path for a short while and you will pick up the trod going left. It joins the brook halfway to Howden Edge.
    The optimum HPM route from Sheepfold Clough goes up on the right of Foul Clough, it crosses it and heads to Howden Edge (trods all the way). Gravy Clough loses you too much height. But this is not the best route for the 15 trigs. Approaching Back Tor along the paved Cartledge Stones path, you can leave your sack and pick it up on your return. The paved path is quicker even if unpleasant.
    Yiannis
    the paving stone weren't there when I did it, just a boggy sandy trod, there and back, much nicer than the slabs but slower.

Lawrie send me a PM next time you are doing this section and I'll join you if I'm free, Dukes Drive/Emlin are 5-10 minutes from my house and are part of my regular runs.

Hmm I wonder if we were too busy talking I have a vague memory of seeing a cairn & wondering why it was there ... didn't put 2 + 2 together

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    the paving stone weren't there when I did it, just a boggy sandy trod, there and back, much nicer than the slabs but slower.

Lawrie send me a PM next time you are doing this section and I'll join you if I'm free, Dukes Drive/Emlin are 5-10 minutes from my house and are part of my regular runs.
    Ian, thanks I'll do that

Lawrie,
    Yiannis
    Thanks Yiannis... should I bring a map to the overnight camp at the OMM?

Thanks Yiannis... should I bring a map to the overnight camp at the OMM?
    What map?
    Yiannis

What map?
    Yiannis
    Dark Peak!

Dark Peak!
    Yes Lawrie if you don't mind the extra weight!
    Yiannis