Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woldsman 2010

Super Moderator

Re: Woldsman 2010

Quote Originally Posted by socks View Post
    Bit of a toughie this one in the heat. The last 3 miles were a bit of a nightmare. Couldn't run and felt light headed - very odd sensation (close to hallucinating, but not quite and not really very pleasant!) Suffering today from sore foot due to one of my shoes being done up too tightly and all the rest of my body aching (that all over pain!). Apart from that, stunning route again (especially in the middle), really well organised, great food, etc. Ran with Tussockface for quite a while, and think I saw Duracell in the marmite top but didn't get chance to speak.
    Well done socks! Always fancied this. I'll do it one year
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Cracking day out, my first 50-mile event done!! Feeling like I've got a bit of heat stroke, and the muscles are trashed 'cause there was a lot of running, which I'm not used to with all this BG training!

Made it 50.87 miles, with a small diversion , first half was really quick, second half I struggled and settled on sub-10 as a goal, which I did with 15mins to spare despite a fair bit of walking/shuffling

A HUGE thanks to all the wonderful marshalls!!
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

I can echo most of Mr1470's post except that I managed to avoid heatstroke - the silly Foreign Legionnaire's hat and the factor 50 sun cream really helped in that respect - and I certainly didn't come in under 10 hours!

As expected, I faded sharply after the first 25 miles (which actually was within 10hr schedule) and completed in just over 12 hours.

Chatted pleasantly with Socks as far as Sledmere, but didn't see her after that point. In fact, I didn't see many people other than those who passed me and then disappeared rapidly. It was a good job the route description was pretty accurate, as I had no-one in sight for long sections.

A highlight was sitting was in a garden chair in the sunshine at Huggate Wold, listening to twittering birds whilst eating lemon yogurt followed by mandarin jelly.
    A low point was attempting to stand up and start moving again.

The catering and organisation was fantastic, the scenery spectacular.
    It was a memorable day.

I 'm not sure I'm cut out for this ultra stuff, though. I'd been toying with the idea of entering next year's LDWA Hundred, but 50 miles was quite far enough for me.

I understand that nearly 20 minutes was knocked off the record, taking it to 7hrs 49 or thereabouts. Amazing. Was that you, Duracell?
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Super Moderator

Well done Tussockface. You'll be there next year for the 100 They're absolutely amazing events and you've qualified now you've completed a 50!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

No not me, I had a bad patch after the scout hut at 30 miles ,which lasted until the finish !

1 Jim Rogers 7.49
    2 Neil Ridsdale 8.10
    3 Yrs truly 8.42

Thanks to all the helpers and organisers

Well done guys,
    I wish I had been their!! I run every single one apart from this years
    Mr1470 did you run with Steve Walker for a bit? he mentioned he ran with someone who was attempting a bgr in July, Steve finished in 9.58 (I set him the goal of 9.58)
    cheers
    Ronin

Aye, that was me Ronin. Had a smashing chat with Steve, which distracted our attention away from the aching limbs! After chatting for a while, we settled into our own paces and played cat and mouse all day. He's a strong guy and I'm very impressed with his low-key plan for the BG.

Oh, and Tussockface has reminded me.....the fruit jellies!!! Food of the gods!!! I shall be getting some of those in for future long-distance stuff.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Anyone seen any results? I'm interested to know just how many places I lost in the second half!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

The organiser usually sends out an email. I haven't had one yet, but I'm sure it'll be on it's way.

My feet are just recovering from Saturdays outing - the 2013 Woldsman:

http://mike-viewfromtherear.blogspot...pril-2013.html

Same day as the Calderdale this year, so I opted for the less hilly day out although the warm weather and hard ground made for messy feet at the end. 11.01 for me at the close ...
    "I've never seen the like ...."

http://mike-viewfromtherear.blogspot.com