Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Weekly Mileage and Climbing

Re: Weekly Mileage and Climbin

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    :

If i could grow up to be half the runner on the fells that you are, i'd be a happy man indeed.
    Cheers Al, just had a shit day at work and reading your kind words have really cheered me up.

Anyways from what i've heard you're doing quite well yersell

Wolverhampton - nearest 'hill' the Wrekin!

Question here, lots of fell runners cycle too, cycling has known cross over benefits to climbing ability. So can we in any way we equate time in the saddle to feet climbed? I mean a rough equivilant, in a similar way that we may count cycling as 2:1 in terms of time.

If someone's training consists of lots of flat running plus lots of cycling then they'd be doing 0 feet of climb, but still working the "climbing" muscles very hard wouldn't they!

So any thoughts? 1 hour's cycling worth 1,000 ft of climb I'd say (obviously depends on gradient, gears pushed, effort etc) but roughly...

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Question here, lots of fell runners cycle too, cycling has known cross over benefits to climbing ability. So can we in any way we equate time in the saddle to feet climbed? I mean a rough equivilant, in a similar way that we may count cycling as 2:1 in terms of time.

If someone's training consists of lots of flat running plus lots of cycling then they'd be doing 0 feet of climb, but still working the "climbing" muscles very hard wouldn't they!

So any thoughts? 1 hour's cycling worth 1,000 ft of climb I'd say (obviously depends on gradient, gears pushed, effort etc) but roughly...
    I dont know about the climbing thing, but like you say lots of the top fell runners are very good cycleists eg- Rob jebb, but ive been told for every 3miles cycled it equals about a mile of running on the legs.
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

I have also been told about the benefits of cross training and I am a great believer in it as a way to prevent over training injury. Also prevents boredom for me as I like variety in what I do.

However, I could be wrong but I would have thought that although there are benefits to cycling it does not exactly mimic the muscle usage from running hills and therefore although beneficial (and better than nothing) it wouldn't be a complete substitute.

I could be way wrong though!!!