Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This saturday

This saturday

This saturday I am running noonstone, but my athletics club (who don't affiliate for fellrunning to UKA) have also entered me for the National cross country. So, can I race Noonstone (12pm start) and then get to Rounday Park Leeds to participate in the national xc (3pm start)!? Anyone else in a similar position who would like to join me??Going with someone else would probably definitely motivate me to attempt it.

Senior Member pauljonesforengland's Avatar

Re: This saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Young Un View Post
    This saturday I am running noonstone, but my athletics club (who don't affiliate for fellrunning to UKA) have also entered me for the National cross country. So, can I race Noonstone (12pm start) and then get to Rounday Park Leeds to participate in the national xc (3pm start)!? Anyone else in a similar position who would like to join me??Going with someone else would probably definitely motivate me to attempt it.
    Good luck!! Please let us have a post race report. You may be in elite group of 1.

OK, who is this really?
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Noon Stone starts at 12.00, the record for the course is 1.03.57. Not sure how good you are but let's say you do it in 1.30-1.40 this leaves you 1.30-1.20. I would say with the reported restricted parking at Noon Stone you need to allow 5-10mins to get clear which leaves you with something of the order of 1.25-1.10 to make it to Roundhay. If you are driving yourself and 'travel well' as they say i think you could make it via the M62 to the Leeds ring road getting on near Jimmy's in roughly 45mins if traffic conditions are in your favour, this would leave you 40-25mins to get to Roundhay. If this sounds good remember you have to negotiate the Canal Gardens visitior traffic, park and register aswell. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at how long it would take you to get from Jimmy's to Roundhay on a saturday afternoon or which route to take but good luck. If you're caught by the law on the M62 attempting this as per my calculations you're heading for a minimum 2yr ban.

Do you like challenges?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I would say Saturday traffic no Jack Palance.
    They called me mad and i called them mad and damn them they outvoted me !!!.

I live not far from Roundhay Park and I'm doing Noonstone. I wouldnt try attempting it. Parking is gonna be a nightmare. I think the official car park is up Wetherby Road

I'm not sure that parking will be such a problem when arriving at 2:30 ish. Many of the earlier age group runners will have disappeared and I imagine that if you head for Park Avenue you'll find a few empty spots.

If I was mad enough to attempt such a feat, then I think I would head to Hebden Bridge, over the top to Oxenhope, Cullingworth, Shipley and work my way around the North end of Leeds.
    At least you should keep moving.
    On the M62 you can grind to a standstill at anytime.

I reckon you would need 1 hour to get from Lumbutts to Roundhay taking that route.

I think this should be perfectly feasible. You just need to park your helicopter near to the end of the race.

Alternatively, if you're worried about burn-out, you could park your tardis near the end of the race and then do the cross country a few days earlier.

Nice wind-up BTW. Perhaps you should say you're also considering carrying no kit.

If the clag is down up by The Noon Stone, you might find yourself in Roundhay Park anyway.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Interesting comments.
    Let me first say that this is not a wind up. When I had a first, quick, look to assess whether it would be possible I knew it would be very tight timewise to complete, but potentially possible. a good challenge. I am highly confident of completing Noonstone in sub 80mins (maybe even sub 75, but lets not tempt fate).
    Thanks for all the comments advising on roads and traffic.
    I am now thinking I will not attempt to get to the national xc after noonstone. Due to parking restrictions at Lumbutts and the organisers asking for runners to share transport I think it would be selfish of me to be in a car on my own just to try some 'crazy' feat of self interest. As it was so aptly put I'm probably in an 'elite' group of 1!
    However, if there is anyone who feels like going to Rounday after Noonstone, and, if racing fells can complete the course in 90mins, I'd still be interested in discussing the possibilties involved in car sharing.
    Brummy John, if you are seriously interested in doing this challenge PM. I'm not seeking fame or self publicity of my efforts, just out for a personal bit of fun, and so was looking for anonamous truthful advice over whether it would be possible. (thanks Witton Park & Leeds Rhino).
    Good luck to all on achieving your personal goals this saturday.