Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice re kit requirements

Advice re kit requirements

Sorry if this has been done to death but some of the threads are too difficult to follow. I am planning, as a newbie, to do the Wolfs Pit race in a few weeks time. I note that it requires full kit to be carried. So the question is....where can I pick up some cheap (for emergency use) waterproof "full body coverings"?
    Thanks in anticipation

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Advice re kit requirements

For stuff that scrapes kit inspection (and more importantly, keeps you dry if you do have an emergency), you can pick up cheap cagoule type trousers and tops from any Millets, Yeomans Outdoors, or just a random outdoor shop.

For stuff you intend to use whilst running, you need to pay a bit more for a technical jacket (e.g. Gore Tex, that allows you to breath and not sweat so much), but this can wait till you get a bit more into it.
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 02-03-2010 at 07:13 AM.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

If you get the Inov8 mistlite cagoule and kegs the kegs will fit in the bumbag that is built into the cagoule and the cag has a whistle on the waistbelt. I think this will cost more though, i think bottom rung waterproofs can be got cheaper.

http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/pro...10.htm?brand=1
    http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/pro...10.htm?brand=1

I can tell you from experience that the mistlite cag isn't good for heavy rain but as a general purpose item i'd buy another if i ripped mine.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    For stuff that scrapes kit inspection (and more importantly, keeps you dry if you do have an emergency), you can pick up cheap cagoule type trousers and tops from any Millets, Yeomans Outdoors, or just a random outdoor shop.

For stuff you intend to use whilst running, you need to pay a bit more for a technical jacket (e.g. Gore Tex, that allows you to breath and not sweat so much), but this can wait till you get a bit more into it.
    I have a pair of Yeomans waterproof trousers, which state on the label that they have taped seams and are waterproof. They are in a neat little stuff-sack and cost a tenner iirc
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I have a pair of Yeomans waterproof trousers, which state on the label that they have taped seams and are waterproof. They are in a neat little stuff-sack and cost a tenner iirc
    Job's a goodun!!
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 03-03-2010 at 05:41 AM.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Wow!! Plenty of food for thought there.
    Thanks to SouthernSoftie, Mr Brightside and Derby Tup. Looks like I can get myself sorted in time fo rthe off. Just need to manage to complete the course now. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    If you try a few bargain shops (Factory Shops, Aldi, etc) they often have £5 specials which pass muster but for longer trips I have better quality ones.

Putting my pedantic shoes on nothing can stop or reduce your sweating(unless you slow down) if it did you would soon die of heat exhaustion, the benefit of a better material as SS correctly puts is that it breaths and moves the sweat away from the body(with a suitable baselayer), however there is a limit as to how fast this can happen and that is why runners waterproof are quite often wet on the inside. It's not that they are faulty it's just that Moisture vapor tranmission rate has been exceeded

go outdoors are selling the Berghaus delude pant for £35 (it has a great review I'll try to find) only prob is there a little on the weighty side.

I just bought some haglof storm pants £40, again a little heavier than the montane stuff but a bargain for 40quid and I'll use them for outdoor winter activities too.

I'm not too sure about emergency kit that could let you down (defeats the purpose for me).

I'm a newbie to this fell stuff anyway, so my thoughts might mean jack!

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Ge...?N=197+592+649

heres a review of about 20 different pairs!

Essential patr of runners kit Good natural massage pain relief gel/ Sports massage rub/ deep heat www.albmaleaf.co.uk