Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Trollers Trot

Re: Trollers Trot

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney45 View Post
    Hey Rob - I heard you were taking straight lines overs the moors rather than follow the paths - whats your thoughts on that as I heard Liam tell us all to stick to the course at the race briefing? A fella passed me doing it over Barden Moor and I was a tad pissed off...he came from about 2 mins behind me, soon got passed him again though and resisted saying something rude.
    Liam got back to me earlier today and said, he's not bothered about people cutting a few corners off etc. but didn't want people using a vastly different route or trespassing. So if he's ok with it, so am I. I assumed at the start he was talking about the few shortcuts that utilise faster going on roads to speed things up.

Quote Originally Posted by 3sheds View Post
    There were 3 near me that approached Parceval Hall by continuing on the road rather than taking the path on the right before the road junction. Only gave them about 200 yards advantage but it's the principle. I expect may did it without realising.
    I've always gone that way too, never even realised there was a path to parceval hall before the road junction. Is it the one marked Gill head or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    I do wonder whether some people took their "short cuts" as a matter of habit from when this used to be an LDWA event & nobody minded too much ?
    Jez, it's still an LDWA event. Or at least it's still on their website as a challenge event anyway.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

That'll be where the confusion is then more than likely. Plus, there's always one or 2 who don't listen at the start !! I think we may have been chatting !
    I don't know about you Rob, but running full of cold, it's taken me a good few days to recover from this one. I've been lethargic for 3 or 4 days. I'm usually good to go after 2 ! Got out for 5 yesterday & felt pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Liam got back to me earlier today and said, he's not bothered about people cutting a few corners off etc. but didn't want people using a vastly different route or trespassing. So if he's ok with it, so am I. I assumed at the start he was talking about the few shortcuts that utilise faster going on roads to speed things up.

I've always gone that way too, never even realised there was a path to parceval hall before the road junction. Is it the one marked Gill head or something similar?

Jez, it's still an LDWA event. Or at least it's still on their website as a challenge event anyway.

Some race footage of last weeks race on Will Neill's YouTube Channel ; http://www.youtube.com/user/ChannelRun?feature=mhee

Anyone can make innocent route mistakes especially when there's no immediate company or in the clag - but those folk who deliberately cut corners (when they could clearly see all the rest of us following the defined route only 50m ahead of them) stinks in my humble opinion, the worst offender near me did it on three occasions ... tos# pots ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    That'll be where the confusion is then more than likely. Plus, there's always one or 2 who don't listen at the start !! I think we may have been chatting !
    I don't know about you Rob, but running full of cold, it's taken me a good few days to recover from this one. I've been lethargic for 3 or 4 days. I'm usually good to go after 2 ! Got out for 5 yesterday & felt pretty good.
    I've recovered relatively well, but I wasn't really capable of running it properly on the day anyway so not surprising really. I did however manage to tweak a calf on Mondays run that was annoying but has healed up ok since (thankfully).

Quote Originally Posted by legbski View Post
    Anyone can make innocent route mistakes especially when there's no immediate company or in the clag - but those folk who deliberately cut corners (when they could clearly see all the rest of us following the defined route only 50m ahead of them) stinks in my humble opinion, the worst offender near me did it on three occasions ... tos# pots ...
    Thing is it's not that clearly defined and isn't as drastically important as its sometimes made out to be. The organiser has said that nothing is set in stone anyway so what's the problem? Most fell races involve route choice as part of the challenge and this is not even really a race as such anyway so why stress about it? No need to start name calling is there
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Felt bad myself on race day mate. The missus didn't want me to race ! Had a stonking headache after 5 miles. Still, every race is a good race. And as I told the wife, I'd have regretted not doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    I've recovered relatively well, but I wasn't really capable of running it properly on the day anyway so not surprising really. I did however manage to tweak a calf on Mondays run that was annoying but has healed up ok since (thankfully).

Thing is it's not that clearly defined and isn't as drastically important as its sometimes made out to be. The organiser has said that nothing is set in stone anyway so what's the problem? Most fell races involve route choice as part of the challenge and this is not even really a race as such anyway so why stress about it? No need to start name calling is there

I tapped out a little account of my day on the Trot for anyone wanting to get an idea of what its like further back.
    http://www.howfast.org/blog/2013/03/trollers-trot/

No worries
    James

Ah well, looks like an easy way to shave a couple minutes off next time ;-) Thing is I still wouldn't cut the corners off over Barden Moor as I know everyone around me was p***ed off when the fella (not you Rob) who came from at least a minute behind popped out in front of us on the path. Each to their own I guess - Still my first year doing these events o guess I'll learn the tricks over the next few years. What's the score with the Wharfedale...I see they say that it is FRA rules so I guess its essentially point to point...but then they state its 25 miles...+- depending on the lines you take?

Was knackered for my Tuesday intervals (but had been cycling in the morning) - felt better for 12 last night...not looking forward to Spen 20 this weekend....looks freezing.
    --------
    &e

I always stick to the specified route Stoney on The Wharfedale. And I'm not aware of anybody taking shortcuts on this one either. You're in for a treat. It's a stunning route. One to run & enjoy & forget that you're racing. I always have a Guinness after, so hang around & I may buy you one !

Ah well, looks like an easy way to shave a couple minutes off next time ;-) Thing is I still wouldn't cut the corners off over Barden Moor as I know everyone around me was p***ed off when the fella (not you Rob) who came from at least a minute behind popped out in front of us on the path. Each to their own I guess - Still my first year doing these events o guess I'll learn the tricks over the next few years. What's the score with the Wharfedale...I see they say that it is FRA rules so I guess its essentially point to point...but then they state its 25 miles...+- depending on the lines you take?

Was knackered for my Tuesday intervals (but had been cycling in the morning) - felt better for 12 last night...not looking forward to Spen 20 this weekend....looks freezing.

What's the score with the Wharfedale...I see they say that it is FRA rules so I guess its essentially point to point...but then they state its 25 miles...+- depending on the lines you take?
    I haven't done the WORM for a while but from memory there's virtually no point in going off the specified route anyway. It is a good 'un - a really good 'un - and pretty much exactly as tough as the Trollers IMO. I might return to it this year but I want to have a proper tilt at Duddon too. Hmmm....