Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderdale Hike

Calderdale Hike

Anyone planning on running/walking the Calderdale on 14 April?

Re: Calderdale Hike

is that the one frey sowerby bridge? if so alledgedly , according to me mate, i would rather do meanwood valley trail but i think my pride won't let me back out,

The furthest i ve ever done in t hills is 15miles (unless the 3 peaks counts) so i m a wee bit scared

Banned

A bit too far for me at the moment but Mrs Stagger and a few of the Stainland Lady's are have a potter round as training for the 3 peaks.

I have entered it. Not sure about the route yet!

Quote Originally Posted by safety pin View Post
    There seems to be a number of route choices between the check points. I will probably still be undecided while going round.

I'm doing this. It's a counter in the Montrail series. I've got start number 434! I assume that is the 34th entry in the "long runner" class!

I agree that there are some significant route choices to be had. Widdop to Reaps Water seems to be a pair of checkpoints from a mountain marathon. I think the route is totally different to last year's race, so it looks like prior knowledge won't help.

One thing that strikes me as a bit odd about some of the checkpoints is that they are pretty imprecise features (like Scotland Quarries). It is difficult to know where to approach these sorts of checkpoints from when you don't know exactly where they are.

My feeling on route choice for these length events is that to start with you are well on for running on paths off road, but after about 25 miles you are quite happy to be able to get onto a road or good track, switch the brain off and just get on with it.

If it's anywhere near as good as the Wuthering Hike, then it'll be a great event.

Bit confused on distance for this one - Ultra website bills it as 37 but race site has it at 34.

Looking at it, would think it's more towards 37 than 34. Would be interested to know what mileage people clock on the day.

I've measured it to be just over 35 miles. There's plenty of opportunities of missing turnings and getting lost to add a bit more distance.

The route I've got marked down on Tracklogs is 34.9 miles.

I'm looking forward to this now, but am quite nervous too. It looks like it will be a glorious day. Given that I didn't drink enough on the Wuthering Hike, the temperature there was less than 10 degrees and the WH is 5 miles shorter, I'm going to have to be more disciplined about hydration this time.

It looks like you can enter on the day (from the website).