Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: Calderdale Hike

Re: Calderdale Hike

My Calderdale pictures are here, for anyone who may be interested and hasn't seen them already.

Saw them on FB yesterday Nick and excellent they are too. Well done on your team prize too!
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

Yes, you managed to get your photo in the Hebden Bridge Times this week, Nick!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Yes, you managed to get your photo in the Hebden Bridge Times this week, Nick!
    Really? How come? What happened? :wink:

How's it going now sans footnotes? Hope you're getting stronger.

Q4: see Trashed Appendix thread.

Q1, Q2, Q3: Your winning team mates run with Tod... Todmorden is in the HB Times circulation district...ergo, your team photo features! Middle of p47, just below Helen Fines at Silent Valley. Would you like me to clip it out for the BritNick archives?
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

yaay. cheers for the nudge Linda

really fab pics thanks Nick, takes you back. :thumbup:

Don't ask me how, but at the umpteenth attempt, and recently being around 3h10, I went sub 3 for the first ever time, at VLM yesterday!!?? :w00t:

so that was a pleasant surprise. just ran it steady steady. One of my Lifes Ambitions chalked off. thought it had passed me by!!

I'll just see how my recovery goes for the FellsMan, decide on Thurs / Fri! Not doing it if its going to tip down either :wuss: LOL

hope everyone's recovery is going well!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota_Crown View Post
    Don't ask me how, but at the umpteenth attempt, and recently being around 3h10, I went sub 3 for the first ever time, at VLM yesterday!!?? :w00t:

One of my Lifes Ambitions chalked off. thought it had passed me by!!
    Well done!
    I take it you're an old geezer like me. I also recently achieved my lifetime ambition of sub 3hrs at the Blackpool Marathon, at the age of 52! I, however, didn't have to zig-zag around thousand of other people on the way! My only other road marathon was in 1997 and so it was great to beat my thirty something self.

What time did you do at Calderdale? Although I didn't do it myself I am -ahem- interested in the results.
    Last edited by MarkL; 22-04-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: inserted /

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota_Crown View Post

so that was a pleasant surprise. just ran it steady steady. One of my Lifes Ambitions chalked off. thought it had passed me by!!

I'll just see how my recovery goes for the FellsMan, decide on Thurs / Fri! Not doing it if its going to tip down either :wuss: LOL

hope everyone's recovery is going well!
    Blimey, that's impressive. Well done. (Ran it steady steady indeed!) How did you get the time off work (not to mention SWMBO) to train up to that standard? :w00t:

What training schedule do you follow to run at that level? (Same question also goes to MarkL.) Hope you don't mind me asking but I am genuinely interested.

I know of someone else who ran sub-3 at London and is doing the Fellsman this weekend so you have to do it as a matter of honour (no pressure or anything). :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Blimey, that's impressive. Well done. (Ran it steady steady indeed!) How did you get the time off work (not to mention SWMBO) to train up to that standard? :w00t:

What training schedule do you follow to run at that level? (Same question also goes to MarkL.) Hope you don't mind me asking but I am genuinely interested.

I know of someone else who ran sub-3 at London and is doing the Fellsman this weekend so you have to do it as a matter of honour (no pressure or anything). :wink:
    To be honest Nick it took me a bit by surprise as my training has been a bit of a mixed bag this spring: trying to train for short fell races, long fell races, a flat road marathon and hilly ultras. I always do 4 staple sessions a week: a track session, a hill session, a threshold session and a long run at the weekend. depending what is coming up on the horizon I might add further sessions, but these 4 are the core. I didn't follow one of the many marathon "plans" as I reckon your average running magazine editor has nothing to teach me.
    A HUGE part of it was not being frightened of the distance. Why just do 22 miles in training and then go into the unkown on race day, hoping to hang on? People often ask me: "When training for a marathon, how far do you think your longest run should be?" I usually answer "30 miles." at which point they go and ask someone else.
    As a Runfurther veteran you'll have that mental aspect in the bag.

In terms of mental aspects it may also help to be terminally competitive. I found myself running elbow to elbow with 30 somethings, spurred on by the thought "Well, how much do you want it, sonny?"

26 miles, pah!

Now The Fellsman on the other hand, doesn't fill me with dread, but a lorra lorra respect....