Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderdale Hike

Re: Calderdale Hike

Does anyone know what the refreshments are at the check points, i.e. is it just drink or is there some food as well?

Thanks
    Martin

I phoned the organiser. There is some food at some of the check points.

What a blinder!

Had a grand day out today running my first ultra. Superbly organised event with walkers and runners doing either a shorter 25 miles or the full 34 (calderdale hike figure) or 37 (montrail figure.) Loads of water stations and supportive marshalls so "thanks" to the organisers for making it such a memorable day.

There were plenty of route choices! I measured it at about 36 miles (not taking into account of the hills). So it is probably nearer 37. I thought the times would have been a lot quicker but with the heat/sun I think it slowed everyone down!

Banned

Mrs Stagger and her team were pleased with the organisation and water stops on the event.
    Well done all concerned

PS they clocked 38 mile on their Garmin.

I measured 36.5 miles on my Garmin. This included a couple of unplanned "diversions".

I was also a bit surprised at the winning times. Extrapolating the winning times from Wuthering Hike would imply a time of 5 hours (and the winning time at the Calderdale Hike was about 5h53m). The leaders were definitely going for it, but whenever someone made a break for it the other two would catch them up. The heat must have had an effect (it did on me - it was always a battle to drink enough).

It was a great day out. My favourite bit was hanging out in the sun on Sowerby Cricket Club green after the race.

Calderdale Hike 37miles

This one is coming on on Saturday 12th April and the detail are on -

http://www.sowerby-bridge.org.uk/sco...ike/index.html

I wondered if anyone has done it, if its on good paths and if anyone has a map of the route they could let me have for a few recces?

Re: Calderdale Hike 37miles

Not done it myself but will be doing it this year.

Route tips on here
    http://www.runfurther.com/index.php?cPath=544_599

May be up for a recce at some point if you fancy it

If you have the time I would definitely recommend a reconnoitre. I've never had the time for such a luxury, resulting in this always being my most frustrating event. Calderdale is riddled with footpaths (many hidden up apparently private driveways, behind bushes and up secret ginnels), so navigational errors are obligatory - if you haven't reconnoitred. Best of luck, and plan meticulously.

I'll be returning again (don't ask me why - I can't keep away) and hoping to get further than the 26 miles I managed last year.

2 of us are planning on a recci of this a bit later on and just wondered if anyone else up for it?

BitNick, looking on the map and i see what you mean!
    Did you (or anyone) get a map/route description when you did it before? Come on someone must have one??