Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderdale Hike

Re: Calderdale Hike

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    just wish I could keep up with Vici who has receed several bits, but no hope there!
    It will be a wing and a prayer but i may have an adventure or two!
    Don't worry, Karen. With a wing and a prayer and plenty of adventures you'll still get round quicker than I will, and I've recceed the lot.

Karen i will be trying to keep up with Helen who has the local knowledge too! But i maystruggle there too! Will be a laugh anyway i may wellget lost. I am heading over there on the mt bike in the morning for a scoot around got an ear infection at mo so struggling to run so the bike will have to do. Not biking over hoofstones though!

just put the cps on the map and had a quick look at it, i dont know dont know the area at all but ive concluded one thing, theres an awful lot of paths around there. plenty of potential for detours !!!!

Super Moderator

I've got an entry form printed off put haven't sorted it yet. I had a 'mare last time I did it and it was one of the worst days running I've had. I'll be there mind :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

evening all, was there ever a conclusion wether north along the boundery line from hoof stones to res(which looks my favoured choice) or east along the permissive path then north over hoar stile and heponstall moor was the runner freindliest line ? also not knowing the area at all any veiws on the sections lumbutts to cross stones and jerusalem farm to to end and nab end to erringden would be welcomed as these look pretty complicated with all the path choices. roll on sat looking forward to a new event :thumbup:

also i presume we cant just use print off with it being a scout event , which is fair enough but do we have to carry a full map or can we carry just the top half (the area we will actually be in ) my point being that to re fold/arrange the map for the current section on the day if it is winy and/or raining is a bigger job with a full map and has more chance of the map getting damaged the longer its out its case ? i realise the scout kit checks are thorough and i totally agree with carrying full kit but wonderd if anyone has a solution/ answer ?.

Just started looking at this years route and the options for crossing Heptonstall moor bring back memories of when I did this event on the route before last in 2008. My first time and first run in area and I wasn't prepared well - didn't realise no route descrip till near the day - but remember having the same indecision about the route to cross this moor in opposite direction from Widdop Res to get to CP at Keb Bridge (I think?).

That day I remember the moor being a bit like descibed above, I probably lost the actual track, but then I hit a fence and turned eastward to meet a track. I'm not sure if that was the fence on Hoar Side Moor or if I crossed Stansfield moor (south) too. But remember I'd run along fence so far then there would be a channel of mud to jump, repeating for half a mile or so. One jump I didn't make and ended up waist deep and had to be pulled out (I didn't think that could really happen until then).

Happy days and I'm sure if that was fence on Hoar side moor it won't be as boggy as that this year anyway. Maybe we'd had a wet year in 2008 and it had certainly rained and snowed during the day of event that year, anything off path or road was really muddy. Interested that if anyone on here can recall that far back of they had a similar muddy experiance - or maybe my routefinding was just naff back then. I was certainly knackered after covering the first 20m too fast, so maybe it seemed harder work than it was.
    Last edited by Drunkeneuphoria; 11-04-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Addition

The organisers are quite sensible about kit. They are not over-zealous. They are reasonable (in fact I think they're great).

I'll be taking print outs for the run. I'll have the OS map with me at kit check and if the kit check people don't like my print outs then the OS map will live in my backpack and I'll navigate using the print outs anyway.

Yes, the route across the Hoof Stones Moor in 2008 was atrocious. I remember the tussocks from hell. I am not getting involved with lots of tussocks this year.

The view from the top of Hoof Stones Moor is absolutely fantastic. You can see all down the Calder valley system and over to Burnley and beyond. It's a nice but boggy spot.

I'm not at all sure about the route from Nab End to Erringden Grange. The thing that matters is how quickly you can descend and ascend. It's not obvious to me that the shortest route is always the best route in those situations.

There's lot of route choices, so I think it'll be an interesting race to run and navigate.

Master

Have a good`un folks,

I am not running Calderdale this year having chosen to do Coledale Horseshoe race as a return to a bit more Fellrunning.

Doing Fellsman though:thumbup:
    The older I get the Faster I was

i did think of carrying print outs and map but the printers sulking with me at the mo so think ill just take the top half of map what i need. thanks for info re kit check. ive pretty much made my rough plans just dont know the terrain bogs etc. not too botherd about quickest lines im there for a training day out in a new area. i think youre right about being an intresting day and a good nav exercise