Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderdale Hike

Re: Calderdale Hike

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I'm up for Thursday if you are Karen. Let me know where & when to meet & I'll see you there - whichever bits you want to give a go. I was injured last year so I haven't checked any of it out.

Now there was i, assuming you were a veteran at this one and that I just had to try keeping you in sight...:wink:

Back to the map...

Going and to try and get in a long-ish session round here this week if poss...need to check out the Brownie point account.

Shall try and say hello at the start.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

yes please say hello. Because the route changes after every 3 years we all have to start over with the learning. I had the old route down to a T and prefered it to last years route but nevermind. Will know more after Thursdays run out

Might be a bit of an adventure, but looking forward to it...hope the weather stays pleasant.

Not able to come up and recce, but should get out for a good few hours locally on Friday.

On the day Karen, I'll make sure I have a buff on with the three legged Manx emblem on it.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

I'm hoping to give this one a whirl. Astonished to come 8th 2 years ago on the old route, despite not having a clue where to go but I just got lucky with those I followed #bewareParasites ;-)
    Hoping that experience plus being a veteran of the Hobble will see me OK, looking FW to doing some of the HobbliHike route in reverse actually. However just getting over 3 week FFS virus will have put paid to any lofty finishing ambitions I expect.
    I'm assuming mud. I gather its still icy n snowy up there but the relative thaw of the 3 days prior to the race will presumably melt it all, leaving: MUD and GOO LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota_Crown View Post
    I'm assuming mud. I gather its still icy n snowy up there but the relative thaw of the 3 days prior to the race will presumably melt it all, leaving: MUD and GOO LOL
    It may not be as bad as you're expecting. A fair bit is on stony paths & tracks. Karen & I recced some of it last Thursday. There were some pretty wet bits & some snow drifts but overall it wasn't too wet considering, & it'll be a bit dryer now.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

cheers splatch, and thanks for your route advice a few pages back :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    Might be a bit of an adventure, but looking forward to it...hope the weather stays pleasant.

Not able to come up and recce, but should get out for a good few hours locally on Friday.

On the day Karen, I'll make sure I have a buff on with the three legged Manx emblem on it.
    How did it go Simon, missed the start but got there to see a few folk finish then got a lift off Dez, sorry I missed you.
    Well Done to all, bet it was a bit muddy ont tops with all that snow melting.
    Hills and Guinness!

Watching the Calderdale Hike today, a lad finishes looking in a bit of pain, got told he was shot in Afghanistan and told he'd never run again, hat's off to him, respect, pain and injury can't stop some folk. Feel guilty resting the knee now, don't want to make it worse but don't want to wimp out either. Anyway, it's not about me, just thinking aloud, Well Done that man. Inspirational effort!
    Hills and Guinness!

Wow, well done that man

Huge congrats to Karen as first lady home. A 1000 nice UC points! 8-)

Well done Mr Stobbs, awesome time and placing.

I found the new route 'hard' tho it was dry in places eg the flagstones to Haworth. Making a couple of early nav errors didn't help, doh! Couldn't find the trail on that last tussocky moor either, doh! Finished well on the road and took 3 sneaky places at top of the final hill by going left into the sports field, not right round the church.

Thanks to Lee and Lance LOL (John) for some valuable route advice and laffs.

Yes - well done Karen. I'd like to thanks my faithful border pacer Graham, who passed me on the way down to Haworth, then promptly stopped as he didn't know which way to go. We then ran together the rest of the way, although he could clearly have run a lot faster (although probably not in the right direction). I was very glad I'd recced the last bit of moor with Karen a few days earlier, so we lost no time at all there, finding all the trods straight away. And I'd have been a good few minutes slower up the last hill if Graham hadn't been straining at the leash in front of me. Top marks to him for stopping with me instead of running ahead, & making sure I checked in at the finish ahead of him. It's a great bit of long distance running etiquette, letting someone who's done the routefinding for you finish ahead of you, & long may it continue. Mind you, since I'm good at navigating & not so fast at finishing I've got to declare an interest. And yes, we took the back door way in as well - I'd recced it 5 mins before the start to make sure I could find it OK. I'd been hoping to get under 7:30, but 7:40 was OK I suppose. Better get a bit more training in...
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club