Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderdale Hike

Re: Calderdale Hike 37miles

Chris,
    I don't think there's a route description as such; we have to find our own way between the grid refs supplied. Also, the route changes every year, so we can never use prior knowledge. However, I believe there are similarities between this year's and last year's routes, with less road and more moors this year.

I'm looking at doing this now, so what shoes do people wear? Looks like there could be plenty of road...is it often quicker to use the roads than the footpaths? I'm new to this long distance stuff so any advice would be a great help.

There were quite a few navigation errors last year.

A large group of us took a wrong turning in the woods shortly after Jerusalem Farm. Some got a bit lost through Oxenhope. I completely lost the path across Heptonstall Moor (definiately worth reccing).
    Towards the end while I went along Calderdale Way, a group which I had caught by with took a slightly longer road route. Their route was a few minutes faster, I think it was down to easier navigation.

I would recommend trail shoes.

I'd wear trail shoes. There are some road sections (but less than last year: the route has been changed in the last 5 miles by the looks of things). There were some wet and tussocky bits last year (back of Widdop and towards the Sportsmans Inn: they're still on the route this year), but I think these are localised enough in comparison to the whole route that they shouldn't affect your opinion as to what shoes to wear.

I'm well impressed with the grip you can get in a new pair of trail shoes these days. I'm coming round to the opinion that it needs to be fairly exceptional conditions to merit wearing fell running shoes when trail shoes are as good as they are.

Thanks guys, trail shoes it is then. So am I right in saying that the route isn't marked, you just find your own way to the check points by whatever route you see fit?

That's as I understand it Jimbob. Although the report on the Runfurther site has a few hints. Seems to me, if you don't know the area (like me!), it's best to go for the longer but easier options rather than trying to take shortcuts which could cost you a lot of time.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

having looked at the map there is a real array of route choice,some being road or open moor.worth a recce as its such a lovely area and i would imagine a lot of time to be shaved/saved.footwear is a difficult choice subject to the weather.
    fancy it but its the day before guisbro which is our club championship race,hmmm,thinking

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    I'm looking at doing this now, so what shoes do people wear? Looks like there could be plenty of road...is it often quicker to use the roads than the footpaths? I'm new to this long distance stuff so any advice would be a great help.
    I'm aiming on doing this and going to do a recce this sunday - from Widdop res to Hebden. Also, 2 of us are doing the last 20/25miles on Sat 5th. Let me know if you would like to join us?

Forgot to mention - i have a route planned on map if anyone wants it but you will need to pm me

Quote Originally Posted by chris brown View Post
    I'm aiming on doing this and going to do a recce this sunday - from Widdop res to Hebden. Also, 2 of us are doing the last 20/25miles on Sat 5th. Let me know if you would like to join us?
    Can't get a pass out this weekend and its Llangynhafel/Border League next weekend but thanks for the offer

Guess I'll have to make do with a Google Earth recce.