Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderdale Hike

Re: Calderdale Hike 37miles

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    Thanks guys, trail shoes it is then. So am I right in saying that the route isn't marked, you just find your own way to the check points by whatever route you see fit?
    The route wasn't marked last year. The most important bit to recce is Widdop to Sportsmans Inn. It seemed to go pretty well last year for me just on map and compass, but I can't have got the best line through the terrain everywhere in that section (i.e. my line was generally right, but not tussock perfect).

Loads of people got lost near Jerusalem Farm last year. I don't know how they managed that. I got lost in Oxenholme. I don't know how I managed that.

The Scotland Quarries checkpoint is a bit vaguely described (the quarries cover quite a large area). Last year there was a car (checkpoint) just to the right of the "s" of "Quarries" on the 1:25000 map - by a kink in the road. Someone went to the "Q" side of the quarries, couldn't find the checkpoint and got disqualified (which seemed a little harsh to me: I think I found the checkpoint basically by the right toss of the coin).

I think you can go by whatever route you see fit (which for me is the best way of staging these events).
    Last edited by Zlod; 28-03-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added last paragraph

The route this year is not totally as it was last year. There were complaints about the amount of road between New Bridge and Scotland Quarries so this section now goes over Midgeley Moor. Anyone doing a recce would be well advised to go over the route between Delf End and Scotland Quarries if they can find it!!! Most of it is open moorland and the paths on the ground are not necessarily on the map. As an alternative it is possible to use the Calderdale Way which is longer in distance and in time.
    Good luck. It is a great event although better for walkers than runners due to the navigation.
    Alan G

I wish I'd looked in here earlier. I've done a few longuns but I've always had the fallback of a route map (whether used or not). Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound (of pain) - better check that map

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkeneuphoria View Post
    I wish I'd looked in here earlier. I've done a few longuns but I've always had the fallback of a route map (whether used or not). Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound (of pain) - better check that map
    I've recce'd most of it now and found it reasonably straight forward as long as you have map and a few compass bearings as a confidence check. The bits needing these (in my experience) are; just before adn over the Halifax golf course (path disapears but only for half mile) and Heptanstall MOor, before the Sportsman cp but only as a check. Someone suggested Delf End to Scotland quarries (Midgley moor) as a rough no path bit and said not so go for runners. On Google maps you can see a track that appears to be in the right direction, and so i will have a look this week end and let you know.......if interested?
    With the recce's i done, i think it is very runnable and reasonalby straightforwarda (assuming reasonalbe weather), althugh i make it longer than 38miles! -

Quote Originally Posted by chris brown View Post
    I've recce'd most of it now and found it reasonably straight forward as long as you have map and a few compass bearings as a confidence check. The bits needing these (in my experience) are; just before adn over the Halifax golf course (path disapears but only for half mile) and Heptanstall MOor, before the Sportsman cp but only as a check. Someone suggested Delf End to Scotland quarries (Midgley moor) as a rough no path bit and said not so go for runners. On Google maps you can see a track that appears to be in the right direction, and so i will have a look this week end and let you know.......if interested?
    With the recce's i done, i think it is very runnable and reasonalby straightforwarda (assuming reasonalbe weather), althugh i make it longer than 38miles! -
    Delf End to Scotland quarries needs 2/3 compass courses. Climb over the high ridge will see large stone tower ((shaft on map) head for this and then a 2nd one, after this take compass courses (or if clear vis head for Emley Moor transmitter tower) as path is intemitant.

Reading Nigel Aston's report of last year's Hike, I'm wondering about the location of the Luddendenfoot Car Park checkpoint. Can anyone confirm whether it's the place I've marked with a cross on this Google Earth image?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't see your google earth image. We went across a bridge over the river in Luddendenfoot and the car park was tucked away on the left. If you'd planned on running back along the canal towpath to the finish, you'd have naturally run through the checkpoint. [I did run along the towpath before walking up the hill which was a bad move: it's better to run along roads from the Luddenden Foot CP to the finish - if speed's your thing].

I've been told there is a fence you can follow all the way from the Gorples to the Sportsman. I didn't see this fence when I reccied last week. Stanfield Moor looked potentially very boggy on the map so I followed the path along Dukes Cut to the road. Any suggestions for this section?

Quote Originally Posted by Rombald View Post
    Reading Nigel Aston's report of last year's Hike, I'm wondering about the location of the Luddendenfoot Car Park checkpoint. Can anyone confirm whether it's the place I've marked with a cross on this Google Earth image?
    From what I can tell the area you have marked is the car park to a pub that is now closed down and I am fairly sure that the entrance to the car park has rubble piled up to stop access

Thanks for the info. I think I see where it is now from Zlod's description, so if I make it that far round the course, I'll know where to go.