Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Calderdale Hike

Re: Calderdale Hike 37miles

Afternoon all, still wickedly underprepared for this, thanks for the information on route choice etc, I'm going to make notes and keep close to hand (I don't know the area at all and have had no chance to recce).

Weather looking ok, cold start, warming up to about 10c. Cloud breaking up and chance of rain. Could be a lot worse

Anyone got any advice re stansfield moor vs Dukes cut track - I was going to opt for up and over the moor but any advice would be appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Anyone got any advice re stansfield moor vs Dukes cut track - I was going to opt for up and over the moor but any advice would be appreciated...
    Up and over? I don't know the area well enough to know short cuts....but I do know enough about the area to know that a "slightly further on decent tracks" could save BIG time against an "up and over getting stuck in boggy, tussocky ground" :-)

Funnily enough, I looked at that bit last night on the map and picked a series of paths that lead to Dukes Cut.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

i also had a look at stansfield moor from Dukes track and if the bit leading up to four gates end is anything to go by, its going to be v rough ground. However, it was snowing/sleeting at that point last week!

Thanks - perhaps I'd be best seeing on the day which looks the better option. I've tried to get a route pencilled in beforehand (kind of included either option) - I want to stick to my route plan as far as possible. I imagine its easy to end up following other people and coming way off the 'planned' route...

Rombald> Your map looks right for Luddendenfoot Car Park. That's where I'll be looking for the checkpoint (point marked "here?").

Stansfield Moor looks like a nightmare when you're there (and a Google Earth recce didn't show any hopeful terrain or paths). Based on last year's run and described relative to the 1:25000 map, I think the best way over Heptonstall Moor is:

- path by Clegg Clough to path junction at 930298.
    - diagonal on bearing of approx 160 degrees to Pad Laithe
    - straight path to Four Gates End (sheepfold) at 939286
    - along Dukes Track to Sportsmans checkpoint

I'd avoid Cross Clough like the plague (unless you really, really like big tussocks). I'm hoping the straight path to Four Gates End is better terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlod View Post
    Stansfield Moor looks like a nightmare when you're there (and a Google Earth recce didn't show any hopeful terrain or paths). Based on last year's run and described relative to the 1:25000 map, I think the best way over Heptonstall Moor is:

- path by Clegg Clough to path junction at 930298.
    - diagonal on bearing of approx 160 degrees to Pad Laithe
    - straight path to Four Gates End (sheepfold) at 939286
    - along Dukes Track to Sportsmans checkpoint

I'd avoid Cross Clough like the plague (unless you really, really like big tussocks). I'm hoping the straight path to Four Gates End is better terrain.
    Thanks for that Zlod. I'll check again later but I think your suggestion is roughly what I came up with looking at the map last night. Now all I have to do is translate that on the ground!

blog

Looking at my route notes again, the one area where I wasn't certain what the best way might be was from the Lee Lane CP to Top Withins CP. Anyone got any tips for me?

And I am right in thinking that Walshaw Hamlet is NOT a CP on the long route aren't I?

blog

What a mental thing to want to do on a cold, weekend in April!

All the best to you all - ideal PPP prep!

Correct, Walshaw hamlet is not on the long route.
    You can either cross the first dam and run on the right side of the second reservoir, or stay on the left and cross the second dam. I've always stayed on the left, but might try the right-hand route this year (which most others do anyway). It looks to be more runnable, even if it might be a few yards longer.

Regarding the moor just prior to the Sportsman's Arms, the first path to the right, up the clough then alongside the fence, is not there on the ground. It would be ankle-twisting tussocks a la Rhayader Mountain Trail. Take second right instead (at stile), where at least there's some sort of path to follow to the right turn onto the nice runnable track.

After Delf End, do exactly as Chris said - climb to the ridge path, turn right, bear left across the heather to the first ventilation shaft where you pick up a nice path to the next shaft. Bear right along waterlogged boggy path up the rise, heading for Emley Moor mast in far distance.