Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy saying hi !

Re: New guy saying hi !

A favourite of mine was the Cleevewold on 28 March
    http://www.cheltenhamharriers.co.uk/..._info_2010.doc
    It's on your way to work. Great views fom the top of the scarp. Big climb from 9 to 11 mile and a sneaky killer climb at 13 just when you think you're finishing.
    Other keen clubs that way are Marlborough , Exeter, Bath and my old one at Pewsey.
    Once you get to a race you'll find plenty of flyers advertising the next batch and probably another half dozen stuck under your windscreen wipers.

Cheers for all the points and links guys - I will spend the rest of this week when I am not busy in work checking them out and hopefully banging my name down for a few events.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    Hi all,

I am however doing the Fellsman this year but would like to enter more to gain experience.
    nice gentle introduction that then

You are quite close to the Brecons so the WelshFRA http://wfra.org.uk/ may be able to help.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    Cheers for all the points and links guys - I will spend the rest of this week when I am not busy in work checking them out and hopefully banging my name down for a few events.
    My tip for the fellsman - find a 4 foot deep bog and practise wading through that . Don't worry though its not a 61 mile bogathon; only about 15 miles of the route are proper bog.............

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    only about 15 miles of the route are proper bog.............
    Not if you know the right lines to take

Welcome Sore Legs

Not sure about fell races down your way other than those areas already mentioned, but I am planning on taking in a 7 mile trail/multiterrain race in Herefordshire - the Magnificent Eastnor Castle Seven http://www.ledburyharriers.org.uk/in...or7/index.html en route home from South Wales to Leeds on 18 April - have you done this race?

No I have not done this race but will check it out and my availability - in fact apart from 2 OMMs I have not done any races as all my running has just been for personal enjoyment (that seems more like an oxymoron if ever there was one!!)

I will get back to you when I have checked these things out.

Cheers

Hello Sore Legs. I'm also a newbie and entered in to the Fellsman... which will be my first race/event unless you count 3 mountain marathons last year. Should be interesting!
    Geoff Clarke

Hank,

Yeah I am looking forward to it - I have got a few personal goals that I want to achieve. Carried out map recces and it all looks pretty easy navigation apart from the middle section over the bog - but this is well documented!!

We shall have to see though - maybe I am being a bit naive but working on the simple speed / distance / time formula - I would not expect at completing in at an average speed of less than 3 mph (average walking pace) so should be under 20 hours but maybe there is something that will prevent that.