Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakes Summit Snow Report

Re: Lakes Summit Snow Report

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Was out today over Grasmoor, snow was soft even on paths the exception being the path to the North of Scar Crags that goes to the col before Sail, someone had used crampons on there and I don't blame them, if I'd had my spikes I'd have put them on

Its not really good for recceing as any lines are hidden under snow.

You can see the Scafells and Gables here. Still a lot of snow there.
    how you doing bill? - I'll second that - pics from last sunday here

snow good and hard today at 8am - perfect for running where its not too steep but crampons a very good idea on steeper slopes with long runouts.

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    crampons a very good idea on steeper slopes with long runouts.
    As a winter novice, I had an instructive moment on the back of the Crinkles the other day, when I dropped my map on what, in an un-icy world would be a manageable slope.

The map slid and kept on sliding, and shortly after that it vanished from view, stil accelerating.

Bought some microspikes now.

Thanks for the updates!

Plenty of snow around on Fairfield and surrounding peaks on Monday. Quite deep and compacted on top so I imagine it will be still around for a day or two.

Probably be gone by the time you go Emmi but may be useful for others to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Was out today over Grasmoor, snow was soft even on paths the exception being the path to the North of Scar Crags that goes to the col before Sail, someone had used crampons on there and I don't blame them, if I'd had my spikes I'd have put them on
    know exactly the bit you mean, went up that at new year and thought it looked dicey then - bloke in front me stopped to admire the view, with this bloody great drop-off below us, and I was thinking 'er, shall we just keep moving!?'

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    how you doing bill? - I'll second that - pics from last sunday here

snow good and hard today at 8am - perfect for running where its not too steep but crampons a very good idea on steeper slopes with long runouts.
    Going well at the moment, doing proper training even been getting out on roads

Still a lot of snow on Grasmoor today but its going. The snow on the North side of Robinson has retreated to about 200m from the top, last week it was down to the level of Buttermere Moss.

One think to add, even though the snow is melting the ground underneath is rock hard in places and when its steep is worse than being on the snow
    Bill

Red face Re: Lakes Summit Snow Report

It would be a great idea to keep this Lakes Weather Report thread going for as long as the snow is around, because on-the-ground reports are far more accurate than even the local weather. I'm wanting to reccie Coniston before 3 peaks, so ANY weather reports would be great -keep them coming in! It would be for the benefit of us all and safety.

The snow on 3 peaks is starting to go now - Penyghent is okay, just be aware of the section starting on the climb proper as there is just a single foothold. Its starting to melt which makes it dicy for mini avalanches.

Whernside - we have only been the long way round over the last month because the front race route was a no go. It is however, a bit better today, but again the final 50 yards to the summit is still dicy because the cornice is not for melting yet (bet some of it is still there come race day).

Inglebrough a month ago was pretty rubbish going up the steep gully after leaving the stone flags and from a distance today it still looked like the huge block of ice and snow hadn't retreated much. You can pull yourself up using the old fence, just take care.

Snows going fast, the ground on Hindscarth and Dale Head was soft today.

Still looks like a lot of snow on the Scafells though, but I was taking photos looking at the Northern side.

Photos here
    Bill

Yes, that is a lot less than was about a week last Monday. Not that I ventured up into the white stuff. I was recceing part of the Lakeland 100, Keswick - Dalemain.
    Glad the trainings going well Bill.

I was up Blencathra yesterday. The snow is stripping out fairly quickly. I put spikes on just passed the top of Doddick. The snow is soft and quite hard work going up but great for whizzing down. I intend to do Leg 1 & 2 on Friday so will post snow findings afterwards.