Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helvellyn race

Helvellyn race

Thinking of doin the helvellyn race on the 27th May. 11m 4500ft I believe. Does anyone know the route as I cant find any info for it (looks on keswickac website but no joy)?
    Thanks

Re: Helvellyn race

JeffM

Haven't done the race yet, but from a route map that was available last year, it is (or was in 2006) a fairly straighforward out & back course which:

starts at Bram Crag farm (NY 319214) with a low traverse to near Fornside (NY 322207);

then a steep climb which arcs north then eastwards up to a checkpoint on Calfhow Pike (NY 331211);

next checkpoint is on Raise (NY 343174) followed by a checkpoint on Helvellyn itself (NY 342152) - so taking the best lines along the ridge I suppose;

and then it's back the way you came ... but probably a little faster!
    Last edited by topofahill; 20-04-2007 at 04:05 PM.

I ran this in 1994. It was an out and back route as described. When I did it there were 115 starters and just 64 finishers. There can't be may races that have had that level of attrition. It rained torrentially throughout the race, and the cloud level was just above the start. Many people came down the wrong way and completely missed the finish. I was fortunate in being able to follow people who knew where they were going, otherwise I'm sure I would have got it wrong too. That was another epic.

Thanks, Looks like a bit of a tough one.

It has the steepest descent i've ever raced - you come down most of it on your arse if truth be told. The ridge bit is lovely and runnable, so you have a bit of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    It has the steepest descent i've ever raced - you come down most of it on your arse if truth be told. The ridge bit is lovely and runnable, so you have a bit of everything.
    I'll second that. Sharpen your studs for this one.

The final descent is a bit special, when you look down on the car park as you start to drop, it's as if you're looking down from a passing jumbo jet. Some of the rocks on the way down are a bit sharp too - stab proof trousers might come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by oleg beaviz View Post
    The final descent is a bit special, when you look down on the car park as you start to drop, it's as if you're looking down from a passing jumbo jet. Some of the rocks on the way down are a bit sharp too - stab proof trousers might come in handy.
    Given my vertigo, it's probably just as well the visibility was too bad for me to see down the time I ran it then!

Graeme

Is this race definately the 27th? I could have sworn it said the 20th in the handbook. Might do it if this is the case.

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Is this race definately the 27th? I could have sworn it said the 20th in the handbook. Might do it if this is the case.
    Contrary to what it says in the handbook,

SUN.MAY 27. HELVELLYN FELL RACE (R). AM. 12.00 noon. 11m/4500' from Bram Crag Farm, St.John's in the Vale, Keswick, (GR319214). £5 on day only - includes refreshments. Teams free. ER/PM/NS/LK. Over 18. Records: 1.37.03 S.Booth 1995; f. 1.55.33 C. Howard 2005. See separate entry for High Rigg Junior English Championship race. Details: Allan Buckley, 18 Jefferson Garth, Greystoke, Penrith, Cumbria, CA11 0UA. Tel: 01768 483737. Email: [email protected] Website: keswick-ac.org.uk