Thread: Training without hills

Training without hills

Hi all,

I'm training for my first proper fell race this coming October but am rather short of hills in my immediate surroundings and wondering about the best way to train effectively. I've got a fairly solid background in endurance sport, triathlons mainly, but have done Helvellyn, Day in the Lakes and an off-road HM in Gower so not entirely new to the sport and can run a bit already.

Basically I'm stuck in the US for the next few months with no car and no access to any nice big hills. Campus has a few lumps and bumps and there's a park with similar terrain about 15 mins run away. However I do have access to a decent gym and was wondering what sort of training I could be doing there as well? Obviously I'd rather be outside running in the hills but that's not really an option at the moment and want to be doing something useful int he meantime. The gym's equipped with treadmills, rowers, a stepping machine and various weight machines. I've been cranking up the incline on the treadmill to train VO2 max and been on a few of the weight machines as well but would appreciate some advice from those in the know.

Any hints, tips etc would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

Re: Training without hills

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
    Hi all,

I'm training for my first proper fell race this coming October but am rather short of hills in my immediate surroundings and wondering about the best way to train effectively. I've got a fairly solid background in endurance sport, triathlons mainly, but have done Helvellyn, Day in the Lakes and an off-road HM in Gower so not entirely new to the sport and can run a bit already.

Basically I'm stuck in the US for the next few months with no car and no access to any nice big hills. Campus has a few lumps and bumps and there's a park with similar terrain about 15 mins run away. However I do have access to a decent gym and was wondering what sort of training I could be doing there as well? Obviously I'd rather be outside running in the hills but that's not really an option at the moment and want to be doing something useful int he meantime. The gym's equipped with treadmills, rowers, a stepping machine and various weight machines. I've been cranking up the incline on the treadmill to train VO2 max and been on a few of the weight machines as well but would appreciate some advice from those in the know.

Any hints, tips etc would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick
    You could use the gym to develop specific efficiency for the fells.

This should include using a 15-20 degree incline and maintaining a pace at lactate threshold for around 10 minutes continuous. Or maybe you could do this with intervals until you can build up?

Step ups onto a high bench using heavy dumbbells is also effective. Ensure you swap legs to get a balance.

This in addition to a sound aerobic foundation should see you in good stead.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

In a gym I'd mainly work on strengthening and developing power in the muscles used in the climbing, the biggest difference between a fell run and the fairly level running you have access to.

So
    Bike on hill programme (cycling often used by fell-runners to x-train)
    Rowing (interval sesh) but look up proper stroke
    Squats/ leg press plate
    Leg extensions
    Plyometric jumps
    Leg cv circuits (combine anything, such as squat thrusts, bear crawls, box jumps, burpees...)
    Full burpees

Plenty to build a programme round. Could on every other day focus on different aspect:

Mon strength work (slow controlled movements with resistance)
    Weds CV work (long bike sesh, followed by leg circuit)
    Fri speed/power (interval sesh on rower followed by some plyometric exercises)
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

And, find a quiet fire escape and do intervals up the staircase.

Thanks guys - I thought erring towards building some strength in my legs would probably do the trick. There's a stepper machine there too which might be worth a go as well. And a multi-storey car park nearby to give BL's suggestion a go. And I'll try increasing the incline a bit more on the treadmill - provided I can prise some of the other users who use them for walking at a sedate pace for 45 minutes off them!