Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Books for bedtime...

  1. #1

    Books for bedtime...

    or any other time

    All that poetry is a bit hifalutin for me, but I do get through a few novels. Recently on the Lowery bedside table has been ...

    Lean on Pete by Willy Vlautin: not-too-cheery trailer-park coming of age tale with the air of Cormac McCarthy. Sour side of the American dream. Very good.

    Peace by Richard Bausch: even less cheery fictional account of US army unit's harrowing progress up Monte Cassino as WWII draws to a close.

    I need something a bit softer and springlike ...

  2. #2
    I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wherever you find me is where I will be
    Posts
    5,671

    Re: Books for bedtime...

    Been working through Bonfire of the Vanities in recent weeks. Started it ages ago, but got out of my reading rhythm and had to start again.

    Oh yeah, that and the latest evo magazine!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

    http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

  3. #3
    Lola
    Guest

    Re: Books for bedtime...

    Try 'Ghost' - the NOT Tony Blair affair, great detective novel with a wicked edge.

    Following your previous books why not go the whole way Hobbs, Laviathan! Just keep all tablets and shrp objects under lock and key first.

  4. #4

    Re: Books for bedtime...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Try 'Ghost' - the NOT Tony Blair affair, great detective novel with a wicked edge.

    Following your previous books why not go the whole way Hobbs, Laviathan! Just keep all tablets and shrp objects under lock and key first.
    Or Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Now that is bleak. But one of the best things I've read in the last year or two.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Truck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Buxton
    Posts
    753

    Re: Books for bedtime...

    Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    or any other time

    All that poetry is a bit hifalutin for me, but I do get through a few novels. Recently on the Lowery bedside table has been ...

    Lean on Pete by Willy Vlautin: not-too-cheery trailer-park coming of age tale with the air of Cormac McCarthy. Sour side of the American dream. Very good.

    Peace by Richard Bausch: even less cheery fictional account of US army unit's harrowing progress up Monte Cassino as WWII draws to a close.

    I need something a bit softer and springlike ...
    Hello.
    Nice to see a book related post on the forum.

    May I suggent a few of my all time best loved books?

    1) The Monkey Wrench Gang - Edward Abbey (For those who love of the great outdoors and fighting againt the MAN!!)
    2) A Confederate General From Big Sur - Richard Brautigan (Beat Gen Classic - a bit odd but lovely)
    3) Stone Junction - Jim Dodge (More fighting againt the MAN!!)
    4) The Iron Heel - Jack London (Even more fighting againt the MAN!!)
    5) I am Legend - Richard Matheson (Vamps at the end of the world - SO much better than the silly movie).

    I colud go on and go for ever with this list.

    Ta

    Tim

  6. #6

    Re: Books for bedtime...

    Have read No.3 Tim - liked it a lot, but thought it promised more than it delivered, by going a bit daft towards the end. Know Jack London but not that one, and heard of I Am legend courtesy only of the film. Will check them out.

    The thing I've read recently that I really raced through, best easy read for ages is One Day by David Nicholls - it might sound dangerously like a 'rom-com' but chaps, don't let that put you off ...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Truck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Buxton
    Posts
    753

    Re: Books for bedtime...

    Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Have read No.3 Tim - liked it a lot, but thought it promised more than it delivered, by going a bit daft towards the end. Know Jack London but not that one, and heard of I Am legend courtesy only of the film. Will check them out.

    The thing I've read recently that I really raced through, best easy read for ages is One Day by David Nicholls - it might sound dangerously like a 'rom-com' but chaps, don't let that put you off ...
    Wow! Thats cool that you've read Stone Juntion. I agree it does go a bit odd. Its well worth reading again. I enjoyed it a lot more the second time.
    I'd say it my all time favourite. Whats yours?

    Once I'd read the little plie of book I have next ot my bed I'll check some of the ones your suggesting

    Ta

    Tim

  8. #8
    I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wherever you find me is where I will be
    Posts
    5,671

    Re: Books for bedtime...

    Not quite so grim as the other suggestions, but the book that first got me back into reading fiction was the War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts by Louis de Bernieres. I did judge this book by its cover (or at least, it's title) but wasn't disappointed. Cracking read, as is the rest of the trilogy (Senor Vivo & the Coca Lord, The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman).

    Love them all and have reread a few times.

    Also liked Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

    http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

  9. #9
    Senior Member Truck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Buxton
    Posts
    753

    Re: Books for bedtime...

    Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Not quite so grim as the other suggestions, but the book that first got me back into reading fiction was the War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts by Louis de Bernieres. I did judge this book by its cover (or at least, it's title) but wasn't disappointed. Cracking read, as is the rest of the trilogy (Senor Vivo & the Coca Lord, The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman).

    Love them all and have reread a few times.

    Also liked Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
    A Classic trilogy

  10. #10

    Re: Books for bedtime...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ruck View Post
    Wow! Thats cool that you've read Stone Juntion. I agree it does go a bit odd. Its well worth reading again. I enjoyed it a lot more the second time.
    I'd say it my all time favourite. Whats yours?

    Once I'd read the little plie of book I have next ot my bed I'll check some of the ones your suggesting

    Ta

    Tim

    always the problem with me too - i've always got books that I want to read off my own back so when a friend recommends or buys me summat, it just joins the pile ...

    all-time faves, hmm ...

    Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
    Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
    Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
    Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

    totally off the top of my head, as I'm not a lists man ...

Similar Threads

  1. Best Books
    By smoggy in forum General Fellrunning Issues
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 07-04-2021, 06:47 PM
  2. Bog Books
    By Wheeze in forum General chat!
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 05:02 PM
  3. Other running books?
    By Corniceman in forum General Fellrunning Issues
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-07-2008, 08:06 PM
  4. Recipe Books
    By Sarah in forum Health
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 27-06-2007, 08:23 AM
  5. A H Griffin Books
    By XRunner in forum Sales and Wants
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-02-2007, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •