Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee tracking problem

Knee tracking problem

My knees (mainly the right where there was some grating) had been giving me more problems than usual over the last year so got a GP referral to a consultant. He x-rayed them and they showed no bone problem so passed me on to a physio. He diagnosed the right knee as a tracking problem because the inner quad was weak. He has given me loads of exercises including squats which has built up the muscles. He tried taping the knee cap as well which seems better initially but then probably gets too stretched (especially with all the exercises!!) to be effective.

I can run for 4 hours on undulating terrain with mild discomfort after an hour in both knees which does not get worse. The left knee gets aching/tightness down the centre of the knee cap area - I would guess that is mild tendonitis. The right knee starts off with a niggle at inner top extending to the centre as an ache/tightness. After a run they settle down both with a slight ache but the right knee is always clicking.

I have been doing the exercises about 2 months now. Anybody any experience of this sort of problem who has any tips. Thanks
    Last edited by MOUNTAIN MAN; 02-02-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Super Moderator

Re: Knee tracking problem

I had same problem after 2008 PPP. My left knee was clunking and grinding. Try and avoid sitting with your legs crossed and really get stuck into the excercises, especially squats. I did 120 after last night's run
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I've had this problem for years. All I can say is keep up with the exercises. When I slack on them, I suffer badly with the problem - very sudden, jarring pain around the knee cap, which stops me from running.

It depends really on whats causing the tracking error. For me, it was weak quads (well, the lower end, which connects to the knee - not sure if these are actually the quads) and a tight IT band. I have lots of strengthening excecises for the former and stretches for the latter. Both require exercising day and night and before exercise. Feckin annoying when you're tired first thing in the morning or late at night, but got to be done!

Super Moderator

160 squats tonight
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by jefpk View Post
    I've had this problem for years. All I can say is keep up with the exercises. When I slack on them, I suffer badly with the problem - very sudden, jarring pain around the knee cap, which stops me from running.
    Thats my story too, its driving me nuts

I have been hammering physio recommended exercises for years but properly over the last 5 months. I was discharged and told to run after 5 months off.

The problem has not gone away even after a gradual build up to 5k

Last week I got a private appointment with a premiership football clubs physio(very lucky to know someone who knows him). He had a look and told me my core stability (ankles, Glutes, stomach) was very very poor. He put the problem down to exactly what the other physios have told me tracking. He said if I can get my core right things will hopefully fall into place and eleviate the glide of the knee cap.

You have to keep hammering the exercises, he told me not to go through the full movement on squats, he was a bit appalled that a previous physio had told me to do full squats and leg extensions. He just said to do quarter squats and lots of plank exercises along with Glutes Bridges. (If he does not know who will)

Your probably like me and spend more time stetching and strenthening than actually running, its a pain

At this stage I need 2-3 days off after every run, the day after Im getting the shooting pains when walking this is what bothers me and tells me something is not right. The day after that the shooting pains are gone but thek nees are very achey.

Im happy runnning every three days thats fine. Im just going to build my distance slowly and see how it goes. I do feel Im probably gonna end up in a canoe for the rest of my life (duathlon tommorow cant wait )

Im also going to do a core stability class once or twice a week.

Cheers
    Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 19-02-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    160 squats tonight
    i squatted for an hour this morning then my missus woke me up banging on the bathroom door

Thanks Jefpk, NOUH and Injury Advice.
    I am not sure whether all that is encouraging or not . Looks like it is going to take some sorting out. At least I can run reaonably OK ish at the moment. Just hope it does not get worse - I had some shooting pain last Autumn but that has gone now.
    I have joined a Pilates class and she seems to know her stuff. She also has a contraption that she thinks should help so will give that a few sessions to see if I can get rid of the clicking and grating. Will also try some new shoes/footbeds in case it is part biomechanical. Onwards and upwards as they say
    Last edited by MOUNTAIN MAN; 21-02-2010 at 12:09 PM.

can somebody save me a bit of googling and tell me what an 'IT band' is please?

IT band runs from the buttocks to the knee, all on the outer-side of the leg. You should be able to feel how tight it is by sitting in your chair an feeling the bit which connects to the kneee (on the outside of the knee). If it's liek piano wire, you have a problem!

If you have bowlegs or do a lot of track running, you'll be prone to get IT band syndrome. Hill running is said to make it worse, but I've never seen it, personally. Guess everyone's different, eh!

I got a load of exercises off a physio in newcastle, they work wonders, I could describe them, but you'll probably best off going to see a decent physio and let him work out which muscle system is causing the problem - it might not be the IT band afterall!

A good Spors podiatrist is the answer