Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Wharfedale t'arriers!

Hello Wharfedale t'arriers!

Got the text to say my form and money had been recieved the other day, so who's gang am i in then?

Also will i be getting a letter with my membership number and stuff on it?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator

Re: Hello Wharfedale t'arriers

Thought scott baistow might reply to this Mr B

Scott, Will Marsh, Grifter, Stick and watto on here are all 'arriers and nice guys too
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Got the text to say my form and money had been recieved the other day, so who's gang am i in then?

Also will i be getting a letter with my membership number and stuff on it?
    Wahey, welcome to the club!

It's a good club to be involved in and you will certainly be most welcome to every training session. The main ones to look out for are:
    Monday: Silsden 6:30pm (I think)
    Wednesday: Club Social Run (varies) 6.45 for 7pm start
    Thursday: Speed Work at Ilkley (road in winter, fell in summer) 7pm

Obviously keep your eye on the website which will give more details as to where the Social Runs etc. are from. We try to be a friendly bunch so if you want to know anything more just give us a shout!

Erm..A good place to start would be the Presentation Night on Friday 26th March where there is a get together at Silsden Golf Club. Good night and great for meeting some of the folk within the club.
    Up the mighty Wharfedale 'arriers!

Quote Originally Posted by WillMarsh View Post
    Wahey, welcome to the club!

It's a good club to be involved in and you will certainly be most welcome to every training session. The main ones to look out for are:
    Monday: Silsden 6:30pm (I think)
    Wednesday: Club Social Run (varies) 6.45 for 7pm start
    Thursday: Speed Work at Ilkley (road in winter, fell in summer) 7pm

Obviously keep your eye on the website which will give more details as to where the Social Runs etc. are from. We try to be a friendly bunch so if you want to know anything more just give us a shout!

Erm..A good place to start would be the Presentation Night on Friday 26th March where there is a get together at Silsden Golf Club. Good night and great for meeting some of the folk within the club.
    Cheers Will, that Ilkley one sounds good for the summer if i'm fit enough what's the total milage for the session?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Thought scott baistow might reply to this Mr B

Scott, Will Marsh, Grifter, Stick and watto on here are all 'arriers and nice guys too
    What about Wharfee?

Cheers Will, that Ilkley one sounds good for the summer if i'm fit enough what's the total milage for the session?
    Normally 6 or 7 miles. It really does get the lungs and the legs burning. It's great training. They are all handicapped based on ability and after each rep there is a jog down recovery. There are three sessions which we do:

Stream Hill Reps : Around 4 minutes up per rep, very steep and rocky climb before flattening off near the end where everyone starts sprinting. It's really good at getting you used to running over the top of the climb. Normally 6 reps.

Ski Slope: Shorter Hill reps, normally around 75 seconds each, runnable slope but an absolute killer. Uphill all the way and no respite. Normally 8-10 reps. Lactate threshold session - really gets the lungs burning!

Hebers Ghyll: By far the hardest session we do. I haven't done it once without cramping up yet. The reps are about 3 minutes, but very steep up some woods with steps and the like to negotiate. A real toughy. Bloody hard work getting down the steps after going up them as well! Very good at getting the legs stronger!

Don't be afraid to turn up based on fitness. The whole point is to make you fitter and of course increase the pain threshold!
    Up the mighty Wharfedale 'arriers!

Super Moderator

What about Wharfee?
    I'll be in trouble next time I see him
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by WillMarsh View Post
    Normally 6 or 7 miles. It really does get the lungs and the legs burning. It's great training. They are all handicapped based on ability and after each rep there is a jog down recovery. There are three sessions which we do:

Stream Hill Reps : Around 4 minutes up per rep, very steep and rocky climb before flattening off near the end where everyone starts sprinting. It's really good at getting you used to running over the top of the climb. Normally 6 reps.

Ski Slope: Shorter Hill reps, normally around 75 seconds each, runnable slope but an absolute killer. Uphill all the way and no respite. Normally 8-10 reps. Lactate threshold session - really gets the lungs burning!

Hebers Ghyll: By far the hardest session we do. I haven't done it once without cramping up yet. The reps are about 3 minutes, but very steep up some woods with steps and the like to negotiate. A real toughy. Bloody hard work getting down the steps after going up them as well! Very good at getting the legs stronger!

Don't be afraid to turn up based on fitness. The whole point is to make you fitter and of course increase the pain threshold!
    Physio says no hill reps for now, if i come along to anything it's probably going to be mid summer-ish.

Nice to see you have joined MB will be seeing you around when you next racing ?
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Those speed sessions sound like exactly the sort of thing I should be doing - my endurance is pretty good now - and since I live in Ilkley I really should get along. I might find it difficult to get there every Thursday because of work; is there much WH stuff going on at weekends or do most people race a lot?

I was once doing hills reps of Curly Hill at the same time as a couple of younger Wharfedale Harriers, spoke to the chap who was coaching them who was really nice, gave me an application but I never followed it up, wish I had but better late than never. And those kids kicked my arse up that hill too.